Experimenting with Fruits and Vegetables

pannaking22

Interesting topic. I honestly wonder if some of the "taste" preferences may be an instance of unintended selective breeding, or perhaps differences in stock, as well as species?

I'm honestly surprised broccoli doesn't go over well for you! My wife and I love broccoli, but I am extremely picky and only like the florets, so all of the stalk goes into the Eublaberus distanti bin and they reliably eat all of it except the peel within a day or so! They leave hollowed out bits that I fish out later.

I find most winter squash goes over extremely well with both my E.distanti and my Blaberus boliviensis. Summer squashes are ignored.

Interesting topic. I honestly wonder if some of the "taste" preferences may be an instance of unintended selective breeding, or perhaps differences in stock, as well as species?

I'm honestly surprised broccoli doesn't go over well for you! My wife and I love broccoli, but I am extremely picky and only like the florets, so all of the stalk goes into the Eublaberus distanti bin and they reliably eat all of it except the peel within a day or so! They leave hollowed out bits that I fish out later.

I find most winter squash goes over extremely well with both my E.distanti and my Blaberus boliviensis. Summer squashes are ignored.

That doesn't surprise me one bit with how E. distanti eats. I wouldn't be surprised if they consumed nuclear waste. Why don't you give that one a try, Panna! ;)

I just tried apples with my Dubia, I cut all the skin off due to my pesticide residue fears, but they have devoted it. It was a small red delicious apple.

I hope you guys don't mind me adding one of my own.

Cucumber:

Yes:

B. craniifer

H. tenebricosa

N. cinerea

Ok:

G. centurio

No:

E. javanica

These are the only species I tested. Just though I'd add it to the list!

There is going to be FAR too much info here to sort through in a VERY short amount of time. THis should be made into a google form for submission and the resulting spreadsheet be available to use to view.

Thoughts?

That doesn't surprise me one bit with how E. distanti eats. I wouldn't be surprised if they consumed nuclear waste. Why don't you give that one a try, Panna! ;)

Well, my dad did just retire from a nuclear plant in northern Illinois... ;)

I hope you guys don't mind me adding one of my own.

Cucumber:

Yes:

B. craniifer

H. tenebricosa

N. cinerea

Ok:

G. centurio

No:

E. javanica

These are the only species I tested. Just though I'd add it to the list!

Thanks for the addition! If I have time tonight I'll upload a few more tested foods, including cucumbers. If I remember correctly, I'm seeing a couple similarities already :)

• 5 weeks later...

My hubby and I raise dubia, hissers, E. javanica: They all seem to enjoy cucumber, onion, salad mix, bell pepper, carrot, apple, banana, potato, dehydrated oranges, pears, broccoli tops, spinach, and their soy protein chicken feed.

We also have giant green banana roach who don't like the chicken feed at all but love the carrots and cucumber.

We finally have a few matured Centurions that we hope to breed: they don't eat much but do ok on the chicken feed with carrots.