Perisphaerus pygmaeus (Pygmy Roly-poly Roach)

Got six mixed nymphs from Kyle for my birthday, I've wanted some of these since before they were in the US hobby! :D

C.pyg%25231.JPG

C.pyg%25232.JPG

C.pyg%25233.JPG

C.pyg%25234.JPG

Thanks guys! :) I'll definitely be keeping you updated, I think I'm gonna be taking a lot of pictures of this species as they grow. :D

Lol you are making me jealous.

Haha, thanks! :)

Me too! But not too much because I'll be getting a couple cool colonies of my own pretty soon. ;)

Cool, what species in particular?

Haha, thanks! :)

Cool, what species in particular?

I just ordered some eurycotis lixa nymphs from Alan and am planning on still getting that starter colony of eurycotis decipiens from Kyle. After that I plan on getting a starter colony of polyphaga saussurei and maybe a few polyphaga aegyptiaca nymphs from Kyle for my Birthday at the end of next month.

• 2 months later...

Well, one of my males matured, none of my females are especially close though, so I'll have to try and "speed rear" them, and move them on top of my heat cables while leaving my males in their un-heated cage.

Anyway, here are some pics!

Adult male

RPR%25234.JPG

RPR%25236.JPG

RPR%25231.JPG

Female nymph

RPR%25238.JPG

RPR%252310.JPG

RPR%252313.JPG

RPR%252311.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One of my female nymphs has molted into what I believe is an adult, she's 14 mm long which is close to the maximum size I believe. :)

C.pygm%252325.JPG

C.pygm%252326.JPG

C.pygm%252327.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Those are very lovely amazeing lil guys. :)

I know, these are definitely one of the coolest species in the hobby! :)

Wow, you gotta get a head shot. "Cute" is the only word that describes the head.

I'll try, their little heads certainly are cute! :D

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2016 at 6:26 AM, Matttoadman said:

Wow, you gotta get a head shot. "Cute" is the only word that describes the head.

Well it turns out a head shot is pretty hard to get, these girls cling to their hides for dear life, the closest I got was a kinda blurry side view.

Corydidarum%25231.JPG

Corydidarum%25232.JPG

Corydidarum%25234.JPG

25 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Well it turns out a head shot is pretty hard to get, these girls cling to their hides for dear life, the closest I got was a kinda blurry side view.

Corydidarum%25231.JPG

Corydidarum%25232.JPG

Corydidarum%25234.JPG

Nice pics! Saw your blog post, hope these guys start producing some young for you!

2 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Nice pics! Saw your blog post, hope these guys start producing some young for you!

Thanks, I sure hope so too! 

1 hour ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Looks like they are doing great! Hope u get tons of babies from those girls! 

Thanks, me too! :) Do you know how long gestation usually takes for this species?

12 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

unfortunately I don't as this species never bred for me :( (my males matured too fast -_- )

Dang, sorry to hear that man, it seems lots of people have that problem with this species. 

Just read in Orin's book that the females can give birth two to three times a year, and that they often will not give birth until six months to a year after all the males have died off. :blink: Looks like I got a long wait ahead of me lol, at least I know they aren't giving birth because of bad husbandry on my part.

I've noticed the females seem to stress out easily too, but if you give them plenty of nice hiding spots they seem to do pretty well. Never got nymphs out of my female before she died unfortunately. Maybe try again someday though!

3 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Very nice.

Thanks! :)

28 minutes ago, pannaking22 said:

I've noticed the females seem to stress out easily too, but if you give them plenty of nice hiding spots they seem to do pretty well. Never got nymphs out of my female before she died unfortunately. Maybe try again someday though!

Yeah, I'm hoping I can keep them happy, I just added some bark hides to the enclosure, though they still really like hiding under the rotten wood chunks I have in their enclosure. Hope you'll be able to get more one day, they are really cool! :)

• Hisserdude changed the title to Perisphaerus pygmaeus (Pygmy Roly-poly Roach)