Arenivaga tonkawa "San Antonio, TX" (Tonkawa Sand Roach)

I love the fuzzy look

Yeah, lots of Corydiids are pretty hairy, even the more smooth looking ones have fine hairs all over them. :)

• 5 weeks later...

My subadult male is on death's door for some reason, and it's not because of the entomophagus fungus. The only thing I can think of that could have killed him was lack of moisture in the cage, but I thought these guys liked it bone dry. Now I have a moist corner in the cage, and he went to it, but I fear it's too late. Today has been a pretty bad day for me. :(

My subadult male is on death's door for some reason, and it's not because of the entomophagus fungus. The only thing I can think of that could have killed him was lack of moisture in the cage, but I thought these guys liked it bone dry. Now I have a moist corner in the cage, and he went to it, but I fear it's too late. Today has been a pretty bad day for me. :(

Sorry to hear :( I've noticed that these guys tolerate more moisture than any other Arenivaga species I've had, and I know a guy who collected some in a rat burrow where it was semi moist with moist grass for them to feed on (you could see the green grass in nymph's gut. lol) so they might require more moisture than typical desert Arenivagas.

That's good to know, I'll be keeping a corner of the cage moist for now on. I'm gonna order some more from kyle, along with some other species. Hopefully they'll do better this go around!

• 3 months later...

Neat species. They're so much lighter in color than the corydiids I'm used to seeing. Good luck with the breeding!

I know, they look like very young Polyphaga saussurei to me, though this is pretty much adult coloration. Thanks! :)

Wow, I love the colors! They look permanently freshly molted. Hope you're successful in breeding.

Yeah, they are pretty pallid colored. Thanks, I hope so too! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well my subadult male died... again. What the heck!?!?! :( This time they had plenty of moisture available, as well as bone dry substrate, and my females are doing good. It's like I can't keep the males of this species alive no matter what!

• 1 year later...

Well, a year passed, and all my original individuals of this species died off, so I got new ones from Kyle. This time I've been successful in rearing males (and a female) to adulthood, which is great, hopefully they'll breed well for me! :D

Here are some pictures of an adut male:

ArenivagatonkawaMale%25231.JPG

ArenivagatonkawaMale%25232.JPG

ArenivagatonkawaMale%25233.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well I had a small mishap with this species, all of the adult and subadult males started succumbing to fungal infections and died prematurely, and my females were refusing to lay any ooths. Luckily I was able to increase the ventilation greatly before any of the females died succumbed to the fungus as well, and now they have started laying ooths too! :)

ArenivagatonkawaOoth%25231.JPG

ArenivagatonkawaOoth%25232.JPG

• 4 years later...

Well I've never had much luck with this species... Until NOW! 😂 Got another group from Roachcrossing a few months back, and they're breeding readily now, I think in the past I just kept them too dry. This species seems to like half the substrate humid, but still really high airflow. My current females are pumping out ooths like nobody's business. :D

Adult female:

Arenivagatonkawa22%232.JPG

Arenivagatonkawa22%235.JPG

Arenivagatonkawa22%236.JPG

Arenivagatonkawa22%238.JPG

Adult male:

Arenivagatonkawa22%2310.JPG

Arenivagatonkawa22%2312.JPG

Arenivagatonkawa22%2314.JPG

• Hisserdude changed the title to Arenivaga tonkawa "San Antonio, TX" (Tonkawa Sand Roach)