Paranauphoeta rufipes (ex. discoidalis)

Beautiful orange leg coloration and white markings :) These are the assassin mimics right?

Yes they are assassin mimics, and they sure are beautiful! They are also pretty calm, which makes them easy to photograph and handle. :)

Cool! Were you able to get a hold of Kyle easy? I e-mailed him last Sunday and haven't got a response yet.

Took him a few days to get back to me at first, and he hasn't responded to me in a few days. I'm sure he'll get back to you soon! :)

Took him a few days to get back to me at first, and he hasn't responded to me in a few days. I'm sure he'll get back to you soon! :)

Yea, I hope so, I really want to order! :D I'm kind of glad he didn't respond to me sooner though because I ended up seeing that good deal for the E. lixa that Alan had, and was able to purchase them and I still have enough money to order the starter colony of E.decipiens with some springtails and substrate from Kyle. So instead of one colony I am now able to get two colonies! :lol:

Yea, I hope so, I really want to order! :D I'm kind of glad he didn't respond to me sooner though because I ended up seeing that good deal for the E. lixa that Alan had, and was able to purchase them and I still have enough money to order the starter colony of E.decipiens with some springtails and substrate from Kyle. So instead of one colony I am now able to get two colonies! :lol:

Nice, cool how stuff works out like that. :)

Nice! Glad you got this beautiful species :)

They seem to take a while to give birth by the way. I got my females from Kyle quite a while ago and they've only began giving birth yesterday. So don't be discouraged if you don't see babies for a while

Yeah, me too! :D

Thanks for the head's up, I'll be patient with these guys. Nothing compared to waiting for Corydiid nymphs to mature. :)

Such a gorgeous species. High up on my wish list when I have a bit more space lol.

Yeah, they are very pretty! One interesting behavior I have noticed is that they like to rest under the toilet paper rolls, and they will burrow under loose substrate to hide.

• 1 month later...

My female matured a while ago, here are some pictures of her! :)

Adult Female:

P.discoid%25231.JPG

P.discoid%25233.JPG

P.discoid%25234.JPG

The happy couple, (Male on right):

P.discoid%25237.JPG

Can't wait until I get some babies! :D

Wish I could get my hands on some of these! Good luck with the "nippers" as we say in the UK.

All the best from Bill. :D

Wish I could get my hands on some of these! Good luck with the "nippers" as we say in the UK.

All the best from Bill. :D

Thanks man! :) You guys got P.formosana I believe, so hopefully you'll be able to get some of those one day.

WHAT!??!?!?! :) That is awesome....Do they max out at about an inch? What temp and humidity do you need to keep them at?

The adult females can get to be about an inch long, 20ish mm long, with males being a little shorter. Kyle's site says they will breed at 75 Fahrenheit, so I'm not giving them any supplemental heating, (my room gets really warm, probably over 75 at times). I keep them pretty moist, they like high humidity. :)

The adult females can get to be about an inch long, 20ish mm long, with males being a little shorter. Kyle's site says they will breed at 75 Fahrenheit, so I'm not giving them any supplemental heating, (my room gets really warm, probably over 75 at times). I keep them pretty moist, they like high humidity. :)

Thanks! They sound like an ideal species. How long did it take you to get them to adults at 75 F? Any idea how many babies they have at a time and how often? :)

Thanks! They sound like an ideal species. How long did it take you to get them to adults at 75 F? Any idea how many babies they have at a time and how often? :)

Well I got the male as an adult, and the female was very close to adulthood, only took a month for her to mature. No idea how many young they have per litter, but according to Alan the females take quite a while to give birth compared to other live bearers.

Well I got the male as an adult, and the female was very close to adulthood, only took a month for her to mature. No idea how many young they have per litter, but according to Alan the females take quite a while to give birth compared to other live bearers.

Thanks for answering my questions. They are a very cool species. :)