Paranauphoeta rufipes (ex. discoidalis)

Thanks for answering my questions. They are a very cool species. :)

No problem, they are a really cool species, I hope I will be successful in breeding them! :)

Yes! I hope so. :) Sorry if you already told us this but what do you feed them? Do you keep their enclosure humid with moist coir? What types of hides do you have?

Mostly dog food, and of course some apple from time to time, seeing as they are live bearers. Yup, I use coconut fiber as the substrate and I keep it moist. I have a few pieces of bark, some dead leaves and two toilet paper rolls as hides, they are almost always under one of the TP rolls.

Mostly dog food, and of course some apple from time to time, seeing as they are live bearers. Yup, I use coconut fiber as the substrate and I keep it moist. I have a few pieces of bark, some dead leaves and two toilet paper rolls as hides, they are almost always under one of the TP rolls.

Ok. Again, they sound like an ideal species. As you know, thinks can go south really quick when you have high humidity and high temps. 75 F sounds great and live bearing apple eaters tend to make for a colony that can be maintained for years. Do they eat the leaves? :)

Ok. Again, they sound like an ideal species. As you know, thinks can go south really quick when you have high humidity and high temps. 75 F sounds great and live bearing apple eaters tend to make for a colony that can be maintained for years. Do they eat the leaves? :)

Yep, they seem to be easy to care for. :) They don't seem to really eat the leaves, or if they do they just barely nibble them. Of course I only have two of them, I'm sure a whole colony would probably go through leaves faster.

Yep, they seem to be easy to care for. :) They don't seem to really eat the leaves, or if they do they just barely nibble them. Of course I only have two of them, I'm sure a whole colony would probably go through leaves faster.

Cool! Thanks for all the great info on this super cool species.

Cool! Thanks for all the great info on this super cool species.

No problem, glad I could help! :)

(Pushed Like Button... ;))

Lol, thanks! :D

I didn't think you could sex an immature roach?

Yup, by looking at the undersides you can tell, just like with adult roaches. :) With live bearers it's easy, with egg layers, not so much. Plus, many Blattids do not like being handled, so it can be difficult to see their undersides.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is awesome! How many nymphs do you have now? :)

I haven't counted, but I'm guessing half a dozen. These guys have very small litters.

Really? Wow! That is a small number. Good to know. Still a super cool species! :)

Yeah, it's pretty a pretty small number of nymphs, hopefully she'll have a bunch of litters though! :)

Yes, that would be great! Please keep us posted and thanks for all of the updates. :)

No problem, I love sharing my experiences with you guys, these forums and the people on them are awesome! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoa, those nymphs are awesome! Love the giant orange spot. Out of curiosity, what do you do with the adults when they die? Do you have a collection of them pinned up or anything?

Whoa, those nymphs are awesome! Love the giant orange spot. Out of curiosity, what do you do with the adults when they die? Do you have a collection of them pinned up or anything?

Yeah the orange splash on the backs of the nymphs makes them look really beautiful. When the adults die I throw them out, I don't really collect dead insects. Even if i wanted to, my clean up crews usually beat me to them, and they are often too far decomposed to be of any use in a pinned collection. Speaking of adults, my female that dissapeared that I thought had died is still alive, saw her in the enclosure the other day. :)

Yeah the orange splash on the backs of the nymphs makes them look really beautiful. When the adults die I throw them out, I don't really collect dead insects. Even if i wanted to, my clean up crews usually beat me to them, and they are often too far decomposed to be of any use in a pinned collection. Speaking of adults, my female that dissapeared that I thought had died is still alive, saw her in the enclosure the other day. :)

I know what you mean, cleanup crews and sometimes the other roaches in the enclosure beat me to the body. This species would look great pinned up though. Maybe someday when I manage to get my hands on a few nymphs... :) And good to hear your female is still going!