I.D.: Northern California isopod

Sleepy Lemur

My dad, knowing I'm a huge invert lover, told me he found a ton of "rolly pollys" under a tarp. Sure enough, there were easily 100+ of these beefy guys running around underneath. Never seen so many in one place before.. Of course I took enough to get a colony going. A positive I.d. Would be greatly appreciated image_zpslozakssq.jpeg

I second hisserdude :)

Careful with these guys. I've seen one bite a head of subadult Parcoblatta zebra before (nymph was still alive and was struggling to free itself), and these guys outcompeted my B. fusca colony to the point where I almost lost my culture until I moved them into laevis-free enclosure. So make sure they don't end up in roach containers.

I second hisserdude :)

Careful with these guys. I've seen one bite a head of subadult Parcoblatta zebra before (nymph was still alive and was struggling to free itself), and these guys outcompeted my B. fusca colony to the point where I almost lost my culture until I moved them into laevis-free enclosure. So make sure they don't end up in roach containers.

Wow, I had no idea they could be so aggressive! I'll be sure never to let any in my roach enclosures. Thanks for the head's up! :)

These are really cool isopods! I believe they are one of the largest species in captivity! :)

I will probably get a colony of these someday or I might get dilatatus.

Beautiful species! And I had no idea that they could be so aggressive to other inverts! Any idea on how they do in a mixed isopod enclosure? I just went out into my backyard and collected a bunch of random individuals of at least 4 species and put them in a shoe box together. I'd hate to check in on everyone in a few weeks and just have P. laevis left!

@Pannaking, When I was collecting my laevis I found one munching on an A. Vulgare's head, so be wary.

Alright, sounds like I'm going to be checking what species I caught later after work lol.

• 1 month later...

The only thing I have seen iso's get aggressive with is a portion of Readybrek, those laevis are cool! (All the bugs with attitude are cool I guess)!

Could you give an estimate of the size of the adults please? I have never come across this species before.

Many thanks from Bill. :D

The only thing I have seen iso's get aggressive with is a portion of Readybrek, those laevis are cool! (All the bugs with attitude are cool I guess)!

Could you give an estimate of the size of the adults please? I have never come across this species before.

Many thanks from Bill. :D

These get about 20mm as adults :)