How Much Dry Food?

pannaking22

This is more out of curiosity than anything, but when you provide your roaches with dry food (oats, protein, etc.), do you give them enough to be eaten within a couple days or do you give them a ton and let them eat it over time? I know that a ton isn't an option with roaches that need a higher humidity, but what about the ones that can be kept on the drier side? The reason I ask is because in the "secret" roach room at the university, all the roach cans have cups with several pieces of milk bone(?) or something along that line. It's never fully eaten and I think the person caring for the roaches just sort of tops the cup off every time he goes in. Since the species are all kept dry mold and mites aren't an issue, but if it isn't really being eaten anyway I almost feel like it's a waste to throw a bunch of food in there that isn't going to really be eaten. All the colonies are doing really well and have been for several years so it must be working.

Thoughts?

I only provide enough to be eaten within a few days for my humidity loving species. For my Blaptica dubia, and Nauphoeta cinerea (feeders) I leave a ton in there and let them eat it over the coming month.

I put only as much as they'll eat in two days, never thought about giving them a ton of food and letting them slowly eat it. I think they eventually lose interest of old food though, so it's probably not a good idea.

I found the 2 days of food is best. I use cricket feed for mine and have found they eat more dry food if its spread thin and wide as opposed to deeper tuperware containers. Also depends on spieces my orange heads eat dry food insanely fast 1/4 pound a day. Hissers are a medium speed and my dubia mostly ignore dry food and eat it real slow. I think the key is low and flat when useing grain. It was the same results on the expieriments at the cricket farm.

Thanks for the responses! I think it would make more sense to have more food in the enclosures and potentially even leave it for a longer period of time if it's a feeder species or a huge colony. Certainly wouldn't want anyone going hungry and starting to chew on each other!