Isopod substrate

All About Arthropods

Hi guys!

I just caught a good amont of cool, large P. vulgare and wanted to know if I could use coconut fiber in place of the soil in their substrate, because I have a little coconut fiber right now, but I don't have any soil. I would still of course mix in some leaves and probably some decaying wood in the substrate. Hope they can have coconut fiber in place of the soil.

Thanks!

I use plain old coconut fiber in all of my isopod cages, and they have all done very well over the past few years, so I'd say it's fine to use for their substrate. :)

Awesome! I was really hoping I could use it because I went through some dead moist leaves and found about 5 really large ones, some very nicely pattered and colored ones, and one really cool white sow bug with black and white striped antennae which I've only seen one other time in my yard , glad I get to keep them!

Cool, hope they do well for you! BTW, that striped antenna one is probably a Porcellionides pruinosus. :)

Thanks! :) Yep, that looks to be what it is, thanks for another I.D! LOL