Hemiblabera(?) sp. nymphs finally

Gsc

Just got back home from being out of town working for two weeks and went through my roach colonies. Finally I got a batch of Hemiblaberide sp. nymphs. I really should take some pics of the adults for people who don't know what they are...I call the Horseshoe crab roaches because they remind me of a horseshoe crab "ish" looking critter. It's not that big of a deal BUT a nice suprise... (also found that a few of my Glowspot roaches have matured :) ).... Good times

• 3 months later...

hey what happened to the pictures??? :huh:

Just got back home from being out of town working for two weeks and went through my roach colonies. Finally I got a batch of Hemiblaberide sp. nymphs. I really should take some pics of the adults for people who don't know what they are...I call the Horseshoe crab roaches because they remind me of a horseshoe crab "ish" looking critter. It's not that big of a deal BUT a nice suprise... (also found that a few of my Glowspot roaches have matured :) ).... Good times

There's a genus called Hemiblabera but there's no such thing as Hemiblaberide. What do your males look like? I believe Hemiblabera males all have half wings while a species someone had labeled 'Hemiblabera' I saw a while back had males with full wings.

Males of Hemiblabera sp. with full wings? Is that possible? Or a mis-labled pic?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all- Sorry I haven't been around that much (life...work...etc.)... I have even MORE nymphs now...I mean hundreds. This species has done GREAT for me. Once the weather warms up I need to start "finding them new homes" lol. The colony eastblished itself rather quick.

GSC: What do your adult males look like?

Hey Orin, My males have the 1/2 size wings. When it warms up and I send you that Polyphaga sp. I promised, I'll throw in a few dozen of these guys for you to mess with if you'd like.

Your friend,

Graham

PS: They look just like the picture that fourm member EffeCi posted here: http://www.bidabug.org/Forum/index.php?showtopic=1054

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out a male specimen (thanks GSC) and the only species of Hemiblabera whose tegmina match that one is Hemiblabera tenebricosa whose holotype is also from the (San Domingo) Dominican Republic. H. tenebricosa is the species that also occurs in the Florida Keys.

I checked out a male specimen (thanks GSC) and the only species of Hemiblabera whose tegmina match that one is Hemiblabera tenebricosa whose holotype is also from the (San Domingo) Dominican Republic. H. tenebricosa is the species that also occurs in the Florida Keys.

Is this the only Hemiblabera in the hobby ?? I have them from 3 different sources and males and females from each are identicle as far as I can tell...

Thank you Orin. I also sent Matt K a group of them (I don't believe I sent any mature ones- sorry Matt...)... Hopefully Matt will be able to compare his cultures to the one that I have. Y'all are great... Thanks so much.

Your friend,

Graham

Thank you Orin. I also sent Matt K a group of them (I don't believe I sent any mature ones- sorry Matt...)... Hopefully Matt will be able to compare his cultures to the one that I have. Y'all are great... Thanks so much.

Your friend,

Graham

...If I can get back a stereoscope "on loan" I will further examine by dissection. Chilled specimens of the same size/apparant mass have the same features externally (visual inspection).

...If I can get back a stereoscope "on loan" I will further examine by dissection. Chilled specimens of the same size/apparant mass have the same features externally (visual inspection).

I'd bet all of yours originally came from the same person. I can send you a photo of the male genitalia of H.tenebricosa from a paper, however it's a somewhat moot point since all the described Hemiblabera species have different looking male tegmina.

I'd bet all of yours originally came from the same person. I can send you a photo of the male genitalia of H.tenebricosa from a paper, however it's a somewhat moot point since all the described Hemiblabera species have different looking male tegmina.

I had heard at some point that the domestic cultures all originated from an import from the West Indies or Cuba. Is there any truth in this? Or is the concensus that they originated in the Florida Keys?