Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)

Just got 4 nymphs from the man himself, Orin McMonigle. They are very beautiful, and very skittish.

I was only able to get a few good pictures, here they are:

D.orini%25231.JPG

D.orini%25232.JPG

D.orini%25233.JPG

This was what most of the photoshoot was like:

• Like 1

Cool! Funny video! :) These look very similar to the E.decipiens when nymphs, but obviously much rarer and expensive!

Speaking of E.decipiens I got some really good pictures of mine and am going to post some on my blog soon!

Cool! Funny video! :) These look very similar to the E.decipiens when nymphs, but obviously much rarer and expensive!

Speaking of E.decipiens I got some really good pictures of mine and am going to post some on my blog soon!

Thanks! Yeah the music fit perfectly with the video!

Actually they were the same price as the E.decipiens on Roachcrossing. :) And yes, they look extremely similar as nymphs.

Yay! More people with this species :)

Yep, I'm surprised this species isn't more common in the hobby, they are stunning!

Thanks! Yeah the music fit perfectly with the video!

Actually they were the same price as the E.decipiens on Roachcrossing. :) And yes, they look extremely similar as nymphs.

Wow, that's a pretty good deal, right now Kyle has a sale on D.orini at 15 nymphs for $100! I'll have to ask Orin what he has available some time!

Wow, that's a pretty good deal, right now Kyle has a sale on D.orini at 15 nymphs for $100! I'll have to ask Orin what he has available some time!

Yeah, Kyle can be pricey with his new species, and Orin probably has a much larger population than Kyle, seeing as he uses them as occasional feeders!

Yeah, Kyle can be pricey with his new species, and Orin probably has a much larger population than Kyle, seeing as he uses them as occasional feeders!

Wow, are they supposed to be easy to breed?

Wow, are they supposed to be easy to breed?

Yeah, Orin breeds them with ease, but lots of others just can't get them to reproduce for some reason. Cariblatta lutea was doing a good job at breeding them but it seems they caught a entomophagus fungus and he lost his colony. He got some more though. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got some good quality pictures of one of my nymphs, these guys are doing very well so far, and two of them have molted!

Nymph:

D.orini%25236.JPG

D.orini%25237.JPG

D.orini%25238.JPG

D.orini%25239.JPG

Looks like it might be a sub! Not too far from getting adults man :)

Yes, that's what I was hoping for, looks like I may have two subadults then! :D Really excited to get the chance to breed these, I can't wait until they mature!

Are these roaches native to the US? Congrats Mr. Dude, you have a good eye for roaches that make people go "Oooooohhh wow!"

All the best from Bill. :D

Beautiful species. Can't wait to get some of these one day. Hopefully you manage to breed them, would be great to see more people keeping these awesome roaches.

Thanks, hopefully you'll be able to get some! That's what I'm aiming for, would love these to be more widespread in the hobby! :D

Are these roaches native to the US? Congrats Mr. Dude, you have a good eye for roaches that make people go "Oooooohhh wow!"

All the best from Bill. :D

Nope, these are from Malaysia I believe. Thanks, I really like the more pretty roaches, or ones that are very unique looking. :)

Very nice pictures and beautiful roaches! The white really looks good on any roach, but with the stripes...WOW!

Really looking forward to seeing some pictures of yours when they become adults, the maroon wings look amazing!

Hope they continue to do good! :)

Very nice pictures and beautiful roaches! The white really looks good on any roach, but with the stripes...WOW!

Really looking forward to seeing some pictures of yours when they become adults, the maroon wings look amazing!

Hope they continue to do good! :)

Thanks, this was one of the few times they ever stay still, so I tried to get a bunch of good pictures. :) Yeah, I love the striping on these, one of the prettiest roaches as nymphs in the hobby. Once they mature I'll definitely post pictures, I love their Periplaneta-esque look. :D

Thanks, I hope so too!

• 1 month later...

Opened the cage last night and SHABAM!

D.orini%252312.JPG

D.orini%252314.JPG

D.orini%252318.JPG

D.orini%252315.JPG

Two have matured into these beautiful adults, and the other two look like they are not far behind. :D Really hope this species will breed for me!

• Like 1

Ya, that is what happened to me... :(

Sorry about that.

Huh, this species must have a high female to male ratio...

Hummm....maybe but i wonder if we both just got unlucky when they selected the nymphs to send us. Maybe Orin will let us know if he has noticed a higher number of females than males. :)

Maybe, still it seems a bit weird that both of us ended up with just females, how many did you start with?

I only bought four nymphs. I should have bought more. All four reached adulthood and then eventually died.

That's the same amount I got. Out of eight roaches total, all of them are females? Really seems like this species is gender biased towards females...

• Hisserdude changed the title to Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)