Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)

That's the same amount I got. Out of eight roaches total, all of them are females? Really seems like this species is gender biased towards females...

You could be right. I have never heard that this species is gender biased towards females and I would think that if that was the case someone would have pointed it out on one of the forums but hopefully Orin will see this thread and let us know. After getting four females, I never bought the species again. That was a couple years ago.

Where did you get yours and how big were they? They're usually about 50/50 though I checked the one cage and the other five were female.

Hmmm, guess we were just unlucky then.

Opened the cage last night and SHABAM!

D.orini%252312.JPG

D.orini%252314.JPG

D.orini%252318.JPG

D.orini%252315.JPG

Two have matured into these beautiful adults, and the other two look like they are not far behind. :D Really hope this species will breed for me!

Awesome photos,the adults are even more beautiful than the nymphs!

LOL Ironically I got mine from Kyle and apparently ended up with 3 males and a female

Hmm... well then maybe you and I can work a little something out? ;)

Awesome photos,the adults are even more beautiful than the nymphs!

Thanks! :) I know, they sure are striking!

Speaking of Kyle, does anyone know when he's updating the site with the new species? I've been looking forward to that for a while, but it's a month and a half late now...

Nope, no idea, he keeps putting it off, hopefully he'll update it soon though, I really want to see what new species have been introduced to the hobby already!!! :P

• 4 months later...

My adults are still alive, here are some pictures of them and their oothecae.:)

D.orini%25232.JPG

D.orini%25231.JPG

D.orini%25234.JPG

Oothecae:

DoryOoth%25232.JPG

DoryOoth%25233.JPG

Hopefully some of the oothecae will hatch soon! :D

• 2 months later...

Well, looks like I've failed at breeding these guys, still no signs of any oothecae hatching, and for some reason most of the oothecae they produced were misshapen and infertile looking, despite having a perfectly healthy male to mate with. I'm quite upset about this, was really hoping they'd do well for me. :(

I just read in Orin's For the Love of Cockroaches that the oothecae should be misted regularly, and I've never misted them directly at all thinking that would make them moldy, so perhaps that's what went wrong, also I've had trouble keeping the top layer of the substrate consistently moist, so I think I went overboard with the ventilation. Oh well, maybe I'll try again later this year...

• 5 months later...

The other day I received a pleasant surprise in the mail from "Santa Roach", 8 Dorylaea orini oothecae! :D They all came in good shape, and one even hatched the day after I first received them! 

Here are a couple pictures of one of the hatchlings:

D.orini%25231.JPG

D.orini%25232.JPG

Really hope I will be successful in breeding this species this time around, we'll see! :)

18 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

So what characteristics does this genus have or lack that excludes them from periplaneta? The wingless male?

They have zebra-stripes (which you can observe primarily as nymphs), can't fly, and don't have a defensive odor, besides the genetics. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

So what characteristics does this genus have or lack that excludes them from periplaneta? The wingless male?

What @All About Insects said. Also, these have shorter wings than Periplaneta do, are more stockier, usually have longer antennae, and also have a more matte exoskeleton texture than that of the smooth looking Periplaneta, (at least this is the case with D.orini). Plus I'm sure the genetics and genitalia of Dorylaea are a quite a bit different than Periplaneta.

Males aren't wingless BTW.

• Like 1

Ohh I thought one sex was wingless. It's probably the genitalia then. The other things mentioned (color, patterns and girth) would separate at the species level but usually more significant differences are need to create a new genus. However I am merely comparing photos. 

9 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Ohh I thought one sex was wingless. It's probably the genitalia then. The other things mentioned (color, patterns and girth) would separate at the species level but usually more significant differences are need to create a new genus. However I am merely comparing photos. 

Yeah, there's gotta be a significant difference in the genitalia, otherwise the two genera are rather similar. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, vfox said:

These are on my want list because of how similar they are to Periplaneta in appearance lol. They are such a pretty roach. How many nymphs do you have at this stage? 

Haha well the adults are a noticeable stouter in appearance, and the nymphs are much more attractive than Periplaneta nymphs IMO! :P But yeah the adults superficially look a lot like P.australasiae!

About two dozen, so I'm hoping to get a large amount of offspring from them! (If I can get their ooths to hatch that is...).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Haha well the adults are a noticeable stouter in appearance, and the nymphs are much more attractive than Periplaneta nymphs IMO! :P But yeah the adults superficially look a lot like P.australasiae!

About two dozen, so I'm hoping to get a large amount of offspring from them! (If I can get their ooths to hatch that is...).

Nice, I'm excited to see how they do and also I'm glad to let you work out the husbandry kinks for the rest of us. Lol! (I'm totally not a lazy keeper, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhush!) 

23 minutes ago, vfox said:

Nice, I'm excited to see how they do and also I'm glad to let you work out the husbandry kinks for the rest of us. Lol! (I'm totally not a lazy keeper, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhush!) 

Supposedly high and consistent moisture levels and good ventilation are needed to keep them happy, that's where I think I went wrong last time, I allowed the top layer of substrate to dry out in between waterings. 

6 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Supposedly high and consistent moisture levels and good ventilation are needed to keep them happy, that's where I think I went wrong last time, I allowed the top layer of substrate to dry out in between waterings. 

How often do you water (or heavily mist)  their enclosure? 

• Hisserdude changed the title to Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)