Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)

7 minutes ago, vfox said:

How often do you water (or heavily mist)  their enclosure? 

Every three days, (like with all my collection), and I just mist them. Think I may need to add more ventilation though, which may make the enclosure dry out faster, we'll see!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Got some more of these from Roachcrossing, looking forward to breeding these beauties! :D

Large nymph:

Dorylaea2021%25231.JPG

Dorylaea2021%25234.JPG

Dorylaea2021%25237.JPG

Dorylaea2021%25239.JPG

Adult male:

AVvXsEgh5yxxCsD4JUaZiS-jtIyX3cR7yNPuVs1K

AVvXsEhvQ8Bw5TQVXYvBxf1GSFa5yLmSh6UdxyKc

AVvXsEiGmU5fiL4LwDiemop9TmOjldtmbY5rb6Ie

He started getting a little peckish during the photoshoot, I sacrificed some of my skin for these decent quality head shots... 😂

AVvXsEgP98q76h81_2Prh5AUtUN8xwgLEKuwm7hu

AVvXsEiWCWnEisBGFKIKK7YeaHiwHrpIaacQkg47

AVvXsEi4v4M90-bRvL9Np9O8Ym_1KdQckO3jHAlt

He actually ended up drawing a teeny bit of blood with how long I let him chew on me, legitimately worries me about what'd happen if I were to fall unconscious and knock over one of my roach bins during maintenance day... 😨😂

• Hisserdude changed the title to Dorylaea orini (Orin's Roach)
On 1/10/2022 at 10:44 AM, Bhjjr said:

Just read this thread. I'm curious about these, had three at one time, but lost them slowly one after another over 6 months or so. 

Are you going to try anything different this time?

They seem to be decently easy to breed so long as you never let them dry out, they like swampy conditions (as do a lot of Malaysian roaches). Good heat and moderate airflow is appreciated, (though some have success keeping them completely unventilated as well).

My mistake the first time I kept them was giving them way too much ventilation, and as a result of my abysmal air humidity, their enclosure would dry out a bit in between waterings, which I'm pretty sure killed all their ooths.

Second time I got them I received them as ooths, kept them super humid and had decent hatch rates. They grew up pretty well but then I left the hobby before getting the next generation going.

Now I'm keeping them a third time, hopefully I'll have success this go around! 😄

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, Hisserdude said:

They seem to be decently easy to breed so long as you never let them dry out, they like swampy conditions (as do a lot of Malaysian roaches). Good heat and moderate airflow is appreciated, (though some have success keeping them completely unventilated as well).

My mistake the first time I kept them was giving them way too much ventilation, and as a result of my abysmal air humidity, their enclosure would dry out a bit in between waterings, which I'm pretty sure killed all their ooths.

Second time I got them I received them as ooths, kept them super humid and had decent hatch rates. They grew up pretty well but then I left the hobby before getting the next generation going.

Now I'm keeping them a third time, hopefully I'll have success this go around! 😄

I've had the same group going for circa 25 years and I keep them a little dry. I like to use cork bark with tons of 5 mm holes and spray that down from time to time, or keep a fruit jelly in the cage to ensure they don't dry out completely.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, Allpet Roaches said:

I've had the same group going for circa 25 years and I keep them a little dry. I like to use cork bark with tons of 5 mm holes and spray that down from time to time, or keep a fruit jelly in the cage to ensure they don't dry out completely.

Very interesting, my problem was probably that my ambient air humidity is abysmal... So the same substrate dryness in my enclosure is probably way more fatal to their ooths than in your area. The cork bark also probably retains more humidity than the locust/cottonwood tree bark I use in my setups.