I found 2 Pseudomops septentrionalis :)

So I found 2 pale boarder field roaches. Im very excited they are high on my list of local spieces I have been wanting to find. They were very close together maybe a foot apart so im hopeing its a pair. I set up thier enclosure and added a slice of carrot and they both began eating so thats promising. Apart from veggies what else should I feed them? I was thinking fish food sinve they are so small. Does this spieces lay oothicas? Will they be large enough to see? Any other advice is great to. They were found on a stone wall with no fields or wild flowers near by which I thought was odd but im just happy I found them. :) woot

So I found 2 pale boarder field roaches. Im very excited they are high on my list of local spieces I have been wanting to find. They were very close together maybe a foot apart so im hopeing its a pair. I set up thier enclosure and added a slice of carrot and they both began eating so thats promising. Apart from veggies what else should I feed them? I was thinking fish food sinve they are so small. Does this spieces lay oothicas? Will they be large enough to see? Any other advice is great to. They were found on a stone wall with no fields or wild flowers near by which I thought was odd but im just happy I found them. :) woot

Very nice, lucky to have them live near you! Feed them dog food fruits and veggies, and you should be good.

They do lay ootheca, and they are big enough to see, though they will try to hide them, either by burying them or hiding them in bark crevices. This species can be hard to breed, and my ootheca have yet to hatch.

Yeah I love texas so much great wildlife. I think I will try the fancy organic kitten food my wife feeds her possum.

I have them in a square plastic jar thats done up pretty fancy so I prolly wont ever see the oothecas if they hide them.

Im going to try to find more by going to wild flower feilds and running a net across the tops. Hopefully I find more and if I do I will take notes on the flowers I find them on.

Since they eat nectar in the wild should I offer honey or creasted gecko diet?

Off to sleep for me :)

Yeah I love texas so much great wildlife. I think I will try the fancy organic kitten food my wife feeds her possum.

I have them in a square plastic jar thats done up pretty fancy so I prolly wont ever see the oothecas if they hide them.

Im going to try to find more by going to wild flower feilds and running a net across the tops. Hopefully I find more and if I do I will take notes on the flowers I find them on.

Since they eat nectar in the wild should I offer honey or creasted gecko diet?

Off to sleep for me :)

Yeah cat food works, I have a cat and I've used her food for my bugs many times. The crested gecko food may be good as well, though a nectar alternative is not needed to keep this species. Still, they would probably like it a lot. :D

Yeah they hide their ooths for a reason, they don't want any potential predators finding them.

Cool, I wish you luck on finding some more! It just goes to show how different some roaches are compared to the pest species, people would never think you could find roaches on flowers! :)

You're not going to get that information with a sweep net. When you sweep net you get stuff and you have NO IDEA where it comes from ;)

Well im going to check the net after each sweep cause they are small and fast. Most of our wild flowers grow in patches as opposed to mixed unless someone planted a mix. So hopefully I can target specific flowers. Thanks for the queen annes lace suggestion I saw a pic online of a pb field roach on a queen annes lace and was wondering if thats a host plant for them they enjoy eating carrot from what I can tell they ate 1/4 of the slice I gave them last night. We dont have queen annes lace here but I will try other plants with umbrel style flowers. Im thinking though I could plant carrots in a field somewhere to attract them. Hmm that could be fun.

Further observations. So I found anouther Pseudomops septentrionalis while at work today. So the collection time for both days was between 10 & 11 they were on white lime stone posts near lights between 2-3 feet off the ground on the same building but on opposite sides of the building each night. I had the realisation today its prolly no coincidence that im finding these adults the same time that the lightning bugs are out. They look very similar possibly some biomemericy happening. In texas we have a rainy season that cues the lightning bugs it may also be a cue for maturation in Pseudomops septentrionalis. So now to captive observations. The first 2 I found which were near each other had dark brown wings and brown bodys the next day I found the one I believe to be female with jet black wings and black body. I believe both males and females climb to at least 2 feet to send out pheremons to find each other since they werent moveing and did react to a flash light being put on them. The first night the 2 brown males calmly looked around thier new enclosure tonight with the all black female the have been chaseing her constantly and doing mateing displays. The mateing display is fun the male lifts his wings displaying his brown body presumably to let her know hes male. At first she went up to him and was nibbleing on his back. Maybe he produces a tasty treat the way some insects do. She seemed to nibble for about 2 minutes then left with out mateing and now both males have been chaseing her for about an hour. Continuing to do the wing lifting display. I took a video I will try to post tomorrow if I can figure out how to post it here. :) I hope people will find this useful in thier captive husbandry of this speices.

Does any one have pics of sub adult Pseudomops septentrionalis? I forgot to mention I found 2 other roaches tonight who are unknown to me. Also this constant chaseing is on its second hour. Im wondering if they will stress the female to death constantly chaseing her. Should I seperate them and introdue one male at a time for an hour a day to ensure less stressful breeding. It also seems the males are fighting and interupting each other which is furthering the case for seperation. Any thoughts?

Cool! they r some awesome looking roaches! :) Hope u can get them to breed, let us know how it goes!

Last night I saw an oothica sticking out half way of one of the ladys so hopefully I will find one laid tonight. For sure bamboo pm me your number again I cant find our old texts.

The light thing is totally true im finding them on stone colums near lights that are always on. I check the walls that arnt lit up every night just in case but only found one that way. So far I have found 1-2 per night every night since I first saw them. It was actually from collecting micro june bugs that I discovered them. Theres no water near this apartment complex but there are these rainwater collection areas that might be there origin. Do you have pictures of nymphs or links to some? I have tried searching to no real avail. I have been collecting lil nymphs when I find them but theres so many speices here its hard to tell wild nymphs apart.

When I kept this species I used to give bee pollen, which is a health food product. It is little soft balls of pollen collected by bees. All my roaches love it in small quantities!

All the best from Bill. :D

Thanks I have a pretty good group of adults 10 females 5-6 males. Not sure if im going to keep or sell them yet. They are pretty but I like swarms of things lol. I think I will go pick flowers for them though keep them happy while they are with me :)

Keep 'em, they bred in numbers for a me, at least for a generation or two. Superb species, you won't regret giving them a go if they breed, a proper display Vivarium species!

All the best from Bill. :D

Thank it does really drive me crazy that there are no pics of thier nymphs anywhere with so many speices here in texas its hard to know whats what so I should try to raise nymohs to photograph.

Here are some old pictures of my nymphs:

P.septentrionalis%25231.JPG

P.septentrionalis%25234.JPG

P.septentrionalis%25235.JPG

Quite different looking from Parcoblatta, they have a light brown border on their pronotums and thorax.

Hope this helps! :D

Thats great the yellow legs head and boarder to the body are quite destintive that will help alot when I find wild roach babys. :)

Good, hope you can find some more! :)