Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hisserdude

Darkling Beetle Photo Thread

Recommended Posts

Yes i have plenty of the Plesiophthalmus larvae and a pupa and larva of the Ceropria induta.

So cool, keep us updated on their progress! :) Do they need rotten wood for their development? I assume at least the Ceropria do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not really sure about the Ceropria but the Plesiophthalmus seem to grow best with it, they tunnel through solid pieces.

Well cooll, really hope they do well for you, let me know down the line if you have any larva of either species to spare. ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some of my Embaphion muricatum adults, these guys are one of the easiest to rear darkling beetles I've ever kept, and the development cycle is pretty quick too! :D

E.muricatum%25231.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those guys are sick-looking! Definitely would pick up some if you ever had them available!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Those guys are sick-looking! Definitely would pick up some if you ever had them available!

I may actually have some larvae available for sale soon, my colony is doing pretty good and is producing a decent amount of offspring. Will definitely let you know when I have some available! ;)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I may actually have some larvae available for sale soon, my colony is doing pretty good and is producing a decent amount of offspring. Will definitely let you know when I have some available! ;)

Awesome!:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW how long does it take for them to get from an egg to an adult?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, All About Insects said:

BTW how long does it take for them to get from an egg to an adult?

A few months, depending on how much you feed them. Not crazy fast but faster than some Eleodes species I've kept.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's such a cool species. I have one likely from the same subfamily pinned up and I just love the look of them (mine doesn't have the same extreme pie dish shape of yours). How large are they? I'm sure smaller than most Eleodes

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

That's such a cool species. I have one likely from the same subfamily pinned up and I just love the look of them (mine doesn't have the same extreme pie dish shape of yours). How large are they? I'm sure smaller than most Eleodes

Yeah, they are pretty awesome. :) There are 8 different species of Embaphion in the US, some with less pronounced ridges on the prontum and elytra than others. 

They get to approximately 18 mm, give or take, size can vary quite a bit between individuals. So yeah, pretty medium sized.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, they are pretty awesome. :) There are 8 different species of Embaphion in the US, some with less pronounced ridges on the prontum and elytra than others. 

They get to approximately 18 mm, give or take, size can vary quite a bit between individuals. So yeah, pretty medium sized.

Huh, not bad at all then! I didn't know there was that much variety in the species. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pannaking22 said:

Huh, not bad at all then! I didn't know there was that much variety in the species. 

It's not a huge variation in size, but I've grown some big individuals and some pretty small ones, some of the larva in the cage try pupating before reaching full size for some reason and those ones make small adults. Not sure if there is a difference in sizes between genders or not, seems like both males and females can be the same size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Andy365 said:

20161109_215245_zpswj2afmbo.jpg

I found this with one of my stag beetle larvae it's probably a wood boring species and is doing well on white rotten wood. 

Cool, wonder what it will turn out to be. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tenebrio obscurus larvae:

T.obscuraLarva%25231.JPG

Eleodes clavicornis:

E.clavicorn%25231.JPG

E.clavicorn%25233.JPG

Coelus ciliatus:

C.ciliatus%25232.JPG

CoelusCiliatus%25231.JPG

CoelusCiliatus%25232.JPG

Embaphion cf. contusum:

E.cf.contusum%25231.JPG

E.cf.contusum%25232.JPG

E.cf.contusum%25233.JPG

Eusattus muricatus:

Eusattus%25232.JPG

Eusattus%25233.JPG

Eusattus%25234.JPG

Coelocnemis californica:

CoelocCaliforn%25231.JPG

CoelocCaliforn%25232.JPG

CoelocCaliforn%25234.JPG

Zophobas morio:

Zophobas%25231.JPG

Zophobas%25234.JPG

Zophobas%25236.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meracantha contracta:

Adults

Meracantha%25231.JPG

Meracantha%25232.JPG

Meracantha%25234.JPG

Larva

M.contracta%25237.JPG

M.contracta%25239.JPG

M.contracta%252310.JPG

Alobates pensylvanica:

Adults

Alobates%25231.JPG

Alobates%25234.JPG

Alobates%25236.JPG

Alobates%25238.JPG

Eggs

AlobatesEggs%25231.JPG

Platydema ellipticum:

Platydemaellipticum%25231.JPG

Platydemaellipticum%25232.JPG

Coniontis sp. "Cottonwood CA":

ConiontisCA%25232.JPG

ConiontisCA%25233.JPG

ConiontisCA%25235.JPG

Eleodes tribulus:

E.tribulus%25233.JPG

E.tribulus%25234.JPG

E.tribulus%25235.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Test Account said:

Time to revive thread!

 

Small cf. Coniontis with unidentified roommate. 

C7D2D477-F59B-406A-920A-E0F8EF2F032B.jpeg

Nice! That top one is definitely a Coniontis, and the bottom individual looks so familiar, can't put my tongue on the genus ATM...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Nice! That top one is definitely a Coniontis, and the bottom individual looks so familiar, can't put my tongue on the genus ATM...

Are you thinking what I think both of us are simultaneously thinking?

“Wow, this thing has the flanged pronotum of Blapstinus, but it’s too fat to be one of those things. I’m pretty sure it’s part of the big group of tenebs that look somewhat like Tenebrio but definitely aren’t.”

My closest guess: somewhere in tribe Opatrini, where a large number of semi-Tenebrio-like tenebs reside

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Test Account said:

Are you thinking what I think both of us are simultaneously thinking?

“Wow, this thing has the flanged pronotum of Blapstinus, but it’s too fat to be one of those things. I’m pretty sure it’s part of the big group of tenebs that look somewhat like Tenebrio but definitely aren’t.”

My closest guess: somewhere in tribe Opatrini, where a large number of semi-Tenebrio-like tenebs reside

 

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking! :lol: Gotta be something in Opatrini, but not Blapstinus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the thread revived, thanks Test Account!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: The above link now also has a decent Coniontis vid.

The Coniontis displays a scientifically-almost-unknown vibratory behavior every now and then, but so far attempts to film it are not successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×