Darkling Beetle Photo Thread

I'm trying my hand with two species Eleodes I found, but like an idiot I tossed them all in together for a couple days while trying to set up a second enclosure and now I have loads of larvae in the first. Not the end of the world, the two species are different enough that they'll be easy to separate once they hit adulthood, but still a definite oops on my part. They're just on cocofiber with some pieces of corkbark in for cover and climbing and it looks like they're doing really well. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

I'm trying my hand with two species Eleodes I found, but like an idiot I tossed them all in together for a couple days while trying to set up a second enclosure and now I have loads of larvae in the first. Not the end of the world, the two species are different enough that they'll be easy to separate once they hit adulthood, but still a definite oops on my part. They're just on cocofiber with some pieces of corkbark in for cover and climbing and it looks like they're doing really well. 

Yeah I've done that a couple times, kinda annoying but thankfully not a huge problem, especially since Eleodes found in the same ranges as each other generally can't hybridize... 😅 Just gonna have a big batch of mystery larvae until they start maturing... 😂 

Basically sounds like my typical Eleodes setups, they really aren't that demanding, some species like more or less sand in their substrate than others, but other than that pretty easy. :) Got any pics of yours? If you haven't gotten an ID already I can try and help! 😁

19 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Some Eleodes larvae eat other Eleodes so you may just end up with one species.

11 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Yeah that's a possibility too, all depends on what species you have basically... 😅

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, Allpet Roaches said:

Hmmm, well that could cause some issues then. I was looking in their enclosure yesterday and there are a few large larvae but not a lot of small ones, so that may have been what happened. The species are split now just to be safe. Presumably it'd still be an issue within a species?

I'll try to get some pics for you @Hisserdude

Interestingly, I've noticed that of all the food I've given them, peppers have been the favorite. Most of my roaches nibble at peppers but don't really eat them (G. caffrorum excepted because they eat everything), so it's nice to have something I can throw bits of pepper at instead of throwing it away. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, pannaking22 said:

Hmmm, well that could cause some issues then. I was looking in their enclosure yesterday and there are a few large larvae but not a lot of small ones, so that may have been what happened. The species are split now just to be safe. Presumably it'd still be an issue within a species?

I'll try to get some pics for you @Hisserdude

Interestingly, I've noticed that of all the food I've given them, peppers have been the favorite. Most of my roaches nibble at peppers but don't really eat them (G. caffrorum excepted because they eat everything), so it's nice to have something I can throw bits of pepper at instead of throwing it away. 

I have not noticed cannibalism of healthy larvae within the same species even for the most aggressive one, Eleodes spinipes.

• Like 1