Anyone Allergic to Their Roaches?

Hisserdude

I think I might be, held one of my hissers, and got a buch of blisters on the spot I held it. :( Pretty sure that means im allergic, right? Doesn't happen when I hold my Blaberus, only happens with my hissers, also I can only get the blisters to show up on the back of my hands, not my palms or my arms.

I'm not getting rid of my roaches though, just got to be more careful when handling. :) Anyone else keeping roaches despite having allergies?

I think I might be, held one of my hissers, and got a buch of blisters on the spot I held it. :( Pretty sure that means im allergic, right? Doesn't happen when I hold my Blaberus, only happens with my hissers, also I can only get the blisters to show up on the back of my hands, not my palms or my arms.

I'm not getting rid of my roaches though, just got to be more careful when handling. :) Anyone else keeping roaches despite having allergies?

Yes, this is a histamine reaction.

I've developed allergic reaction to roaches (I think the main reason is I have to work in a German cockroach rearing lab facility weekly).

Now I've stopped handling any large sized cockroach like hissers or Blaberus due to the same symptom you've got, otherwise it doesn't affect my hobby.

I get that contact aggitation to and if I touch my eyes without washing my hands my eyes get swollen and puffy. I handle them as usual then wash my hands right away and as soon as they are washed they feel instantly better

Interesting, looks like I won't be handling my hissers anymore. Good to know it doesn't affect the hobby too terribly. :) Just wondering, if I took antihistamines, would that stop blister from forming every time I hold them?

Same as wcbpolish, the only time they get me is with their leg spikes. I can't say it bothers me too much, just a very mild itchiness. I get the same sensation when I hold my D. Diadema whipspider, it may just be the way their hooks grip into your skin.

I don't seem to be affected by them at all, it does itch a little when they run and their spikes prick me like wcbpolish and jared said, but I don't think it's any sort of reaction.

I have allergies to the frass, and where their leg spines prick my skin when I handle them.

Same as wcbpolish, the only time they get me is with their leg spikes. I can't say it bothers me too much, just a very mild itchiness. I get the same sensation when I hold my D. Diadema whipspider, it may just be the way their hooks grip into your skin.

Yeah, the leg spikes seem to be what causes my skin to blister, with smaller roaches I don't feel a thing.

I am allergic to dust, mold, pollen and pretty much anything fine and airborne but I have been very fortunate that in 36 years I've not developed any sort of reaction to cockroaches.

Well this is the first thing I've ever been allergic to, hopefully you won't ever contract this allergy!

I don't seem to be affected by them at all, it does itch a little when they run and their spikes prick me like wcbpolish and jared said, but I don't think it's any sort of reaction.

Yeah, that's how it used to be for me, now I get big blisters wherever the bigger roaches' leg spikes prick me. :(

So if we handle our roaches often or are around them a lot we can develop allergies?

Apparently, yes. Still, it depends on the person, as Orin stated he has been keeping roaches for over 30 years and has yet to develop an allergic reaction.

I heard something like 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 people will develope allergys to hissers. One thing I found that works so well on skin based irritants that people use it to cure poison ivy rashes is powder bentonite clay. Get your hands slightly damp and dip your fingers in the powder then rub it on the part of your hand thats itching. It should feel better instantly let it dry then brush it off. It has alot of other uses to I use it as tooth paste and mix some in tea as a mineral supliment. You can find it in skin care sections of stores. Hopefully that helps with handleing.

Apparently, yes. Still, it depends on the person, as Orin stated he has been keeping roaches for over 30 years and has yet to develop an allergic reaction.

Hope I can be like Orin! :D

Same, I've never been allergic to anything in my life and I sincerely hope I never develop an allergy to hissers. Handling them is one of my favorite parts of keeping them as pets. It's just so gratifying!

Same, I've never been allergic to anything in my life and I sincerely hope I never develop an allergy to hissers. Handling them is one of my favorite parts of keeping them as pets. It's just so gratifying!

Yep, keeping pet insects would be completely different if you couldn't handle them.

A few months ago I broke out in hives and thought I was allergic to my roaches for a while. I'm still not sure what it caused it, but it went away and I haven't had a reaction again. Since then I've been careful to avoid developing insect allergies.

I try to minimize risk by not touching anything in my roach bins directly--I always use gloves or forceps. I should probably also wear a mask, but I don't unless I'm cleaning bins. I've read horror stories of people having to give up lifelong hobbies because of these reactions and I don't want to risk it.