Screening

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to know when you guys hot glue screening over the ventilation holes in your roach containers, if you hot glue it in the inside of the container or on the outside of the container. I was just thinking if it was hot glued inside it would probably make it harder for anything to escape but then they might try to chew through the hot glue.

Also, would screening with about 1.5mm sized holes be small enough to contain any E.decipiens or E.lixa 1st instar nymphs?

Thanks!

If you're worried about them chewing through the glue you should use a metal mesh. They're more likely to chew through the regular fiberglass mesh than the hot glue. I've had lots of escapes with the regular mesh and it's just too much of a hassle. I've also had the glue wear out over time and separate from the bin.

I use aluminum mesh and melt it into the plastic for all my climbing species or when the roaches can reach the ventilation.

Some others have said they drill small holes in sealed containers to keep the tiny nymphs in.

I use metal mesh with hot glue on the inside, never had a problem with chewing or escapees. However, I do use a 1" layer of bug stop around the rim of the tank so they can't reach that high anyway.

If you're worried about them chewing through the glue you should use a metal mesh. They're more likely to chew through the regular fiberglass mesh than the hot glue. I've had lots of escapes with the regular mesh and it's just too much of a hassle. I've also had the glue wear out over time and separate from the bin.

I use aluminum mesh and melt it into the plastic for all my climbing species or when the roaches can reach the ventilation.

Some others have said they drill small holes in sealed containers to keep the tiny nymphs in.

What do you use to melt the mesh in to the plastic?

What do you use to melt the mesh in to the plastic?

A soldering iron.