Peppered roaches

I'm getting some peppered roaches tomorrow and would like input on care parameters. I've had discoids and dubias for years with much success and was planning on caring for them the same way. Any input would be appreciated. I keep them at 84 - 88 degrees F. Feed dog, cat fish and chicken food along with a variety of produce 2-3 times a week and water crystals for moisture. I use egg crates for habitat, bran for substrate and keep them fairly dark. I live in the desert so the humidity is fairly low.

Thanks

They like to burrow (at least nymphs do). I keep mine on about 4" of peat. One of their favorite foods seems to be carrots and butternut squash. Mine are doing good, but they do grow very slowly. I've had a few sub adults for several months. They're huge but don't seem to want to moult into adults. I just need to be more patient I guess :)

I've had them in the past. I used to keep them in a larger tupperware with ~3" of the cocofibre bedding. Like everyone said above...VERY SLOW growing... they are well worth the wait. I had finally given up on getting nymphs and then one day while feeding them I found some... just took longer than expected to establish the colony. They are awesome roaches- large size..handleable- and just palin: pretty. Good luck with them- you'll really like this species.

Bran substrate sounds a little scary but if you've had luck with discoids and dubia you should do fine. Archimandrita are much slower breeding and reproduce in lower numbers than those species.

Just curious what makes you nervous about using bran as substrate. I use it for the others because its smaller grained than the small nymphs and i can sift through it easily, they also seem to enjoy grazing on it a little.

Just curious what makes you nervous about using bran as substrate. I use it for the others because its smaller grained than the small nymphs and i can sift through it easily, they also seem to enjoy grazing on it a little.

Bran in more humid areas = mite infestation.

Bran in more humid areas = mite infestation.

Specifically bran or any absorptive substrate? I never used any substrate for a long time but like something for the little ones to hide in. They generate there own substrate soon enough. Never have had mite problems, i live in a very low humidity area. I did have problems with the substrate getting damp and molding until i put in supports under the egg crates to raise them just above the bran so there was air movement underneath.

Specifically bran or any absorptive substrate? I never used any substrate for a long time but like something for the little ones to hide in. They generate there own substrate soon enough. Never have had mite problems, i live in a very low humidity area. I did have problems with the substrate getting damp and molding until i put in supports under the egg crates to raise them just above the bran so there was air movement underneath.

oops

• 3 weeks later...