Hawaii Roaches

I am vacationing at the Aulani resort in Hawaii and noticed some roaches on light poles at night outside the resort. Can I legally catch these and check them with my baggage on the way home? I may get some pictures if I get a chance.

You could try. I don't think they'll check your bag. It won't be legal though. As you go through the Airport you'll actually notice that there are several checkpoints where they check for biological material in your carry on luggage. It's against USDA guidelines for interstate movement of biological material. Ordering roaches that aren't native to your state is also technically breaking this law, but they're more strict about it in Hawaii because the margin for something bad happening is much higher.

You could try, but it is illegal, and you could get into trouble if you were to get caught...

I feel like most hawaii roach speices are available for sale in the hobby its best to go with captive born when ever possible. Hawaii being an island is well known for having a delicate ecosystem. That said if I were there....my tendence to actively go bug hunting might get the best of me. That said there are some spieces here in texas that I refuse to collect so thats saying something. Lol

There are the 2 species I see outside the front of the Aulani Resort. The first species is the smaller one, and there are literally hundreds you can see along the sidewalk on leaves. They seem to eat decaying leaves. The second species are bigger, and resemble American cockroaches, although not the variety that exists around my house in Louisiana.

http://s64.photobuck...ary/Hawaii Bugs

Yup, the first one is a Diploptera punctata, they are known from that area. The Periplaneta looks like a P.brunnea to me.

https://entophile.co...coquebert-1804/

This is the roach I have wanted from Hawaii for a long time. It is very illegal to remove native fauna from Hawaii but all the roaches you see are introduced pests and they are NOT protected. The other big concern is accidentally introducing new species so you can't bring any biological material into Hawaii. Taking home "pests" would relate more to your own state. Common pests like the Periplaneta you are seeing are shipped interstate without permits by Biological Supply Houses because ag does not pretend they can control P. americana. Although I'm pretty sure you'd be breaking no laws declaring and bringing P. americana openly they might not let you on the plane anyway.

https://entophile.co...coquebert-1804/

This is the roach I have wanted from Hawaii for a long time. It is very illegal to remove native fauna from Hawaii but all the roaches you see are introduced pests and they are NOT protected. The other big concern is accidentally introducing new species so you can't bring any biological material into Hawaii. Taking home "pests" would relate more to your own state. Common pests like the Periplaneta you are seeing are shipped interstate without permits by Biological Supply Houses because ag does not pretend they can control P. americana. Although I'm pretty sure you'd be breaking no laws declaring and bringing P. americana openly they might not let you on the plane anyway.

That is a very beautiful roach! :) This is the one Peter has on his profile!

If they accidentally end up in your bag and someone asks...

"ewwww... roaches got into that bag of cereal that I had packed in my checked luggage..."

and then tell the TSA to throw that nastiness away.

Otherwise, if you find the hitchhikers intact when you arrive home, start a colony...