What species has the best feeding response for you?

Tenevanica

I have quite a large collection of roaches now, and that means I get to witness the feeding response of many different species of roach, and it is quite entertaining! I was wondering which of your cockroach species exhibit the strangest/ craziest/ most entertaining feeding response. Which species is your favorite to watch eat?

My Blaberus sp. "Venezuela" are definitely towards the top of my list. You add some food to the container, and within minutes the nymphs are out and vigorously dining on whatever is in the food dish. I even witnessed two larger nymphs playing tug of war over a piece of dog kibble. The winner scurried off with the piece in his mouth, and gorged him/herself on it!

Periplaneta australasiae is moving slowly upwards on my list of my favorite species. The feeding response of these is great as well! The adults scurry out of hiding whenever food is added, and will actually cut pieces of food away from the rest and take the piece back to their hiding spot. (It reminds me a lot of Asbolus verrucosus: Blue Death-Feigning beetles. They do the same thing.) It's very cute to see roaches running around with bits of food in their mouths! Those roaches are always busy! :wub:

And finally, Eublaberus posticus. E. posticus is insane when feeding time comes. You throw some food in there, and within seconds it's covered in roaches! They devour anything that touches the substrate, and that effect is multiplied tenfold since I have 50 or so nymphs in my care.

Video:

My Eurycotis lixa definitely have the craziest feeding response of all my roaches. When I drop pieces of food on the substrate, a bunch start smelling in the air with their antennae, and start eating the pieces of food and then they start fighting, chasing, and trying to bite each other for the food! Then a lot also take the food in their mouth and either run under an egg crate or run up the side of the container and hang, holding the piece of food in their hands and eat it! Definitely very entertaining!

My e posticus are great feeders like you said I love swarms of things. My lateralis are sometimes scary though truely ravenous they eat thier food down to nothing most of the time the only thing left is seeds. One time all I had was a pineapple the posticus sucked out some juice the dubia ignored it the lateralis only left the rind but it did take them awhile to finish it.

My Phoetalia pallida eat anything you care to put their way. My Oxyhaloa deusta are also very strong feeders. My Loboptera decipiens (wouldn't be a Bufo Bill post without mentioning these guys ;) ),are very aggressive with each other at feeding time. @ Lovebugfarm, none of mine seem to eat pineapple without a lot of trouble, it's quite fibrous and I wondered if that had something to do with it?

all the best from Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. my E posticus eat in swarms but only when i leave the room and the light is off. When i come in the room they r all over stuff but soon scatter after the light gets turned on.

Yes thats true. I guess I take for granted I leave the light off in the my closet and use a head lamp most of the time im in there. Thats how we did it on the cricket farm lights were pretty much always off and we used head lamps they grow faster since they are able to eat more often.

The room ive got all my inverts in the light is usually off. I mean it get sunlight through the curtains and stuff during the day. But ive read that maybe important to some bugs, so they have a sense of night and day.

Yeah day and night is more naural and better over all. Some people choose dark for production purposes. I have my bug closet and a cabnit for my other inverts I have concerns about how my predators can hunt in the dark so on feeding day I leave the cabnit door open but unfortunatly my fiance has cats so I cant have any out on display cause they like to knock cages over. My only inverts I keep out are mantis cause the oothica need day and night to hatch.