Need an id

I was going threw my pepper roach bin yesterday and found these guys they don't seem to match any of my other roaches so I figured I should ask for an id. It's interesting the top half of their body is shiny and in the right light a deep maroon the lower half is mate and black. Any help or guesses would help.

post-9158-0-54649900-1463955642_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure its P.surinamensis due to the fact that they often end up in other roaches' enclosures. Probably got in your peppered roach supplier's bins and they then stowed away in the package and ended up with you. :) You'll soon have tons of them, they are very prolific.

These definantly cant climb I put them in a lil solo deli plastic cup and they were sliping around like crazy couldnt get out of a cup thats 1.5" tall

That's weird....these look like Pycnoscelus to me but maybe the picture is making them look like Pycnoscelus. Either that or there could be some substance on the cups such as dusts that could be clinging onto the feet of the nymphs, making them unable to climb. We'll know for sure when they mature :)

Looks like I didn't have to wait to long its a Surinam.

Nice, better separate them, lest they outcompete your peppered roaches! :)

Oh for sure my peppers are in quarintine while I freeze their soil. There was a serious earwig outbreak and as I combed threw their 4 inch substrate at the very bottom I found the Surinames. I was able to trade the earwigs so turned lemons into lemon aid. :) I need to read up on Surinames but from what I've seen they can't climb glass so they might be going into a giant jar for now.

Oh for sure my peppers are in quarintine while I freeze their soil. There was a serious earwig outbreak and as I combed threw their 4 inch substrate at the very bottom I found the Surinames. I was able to trade the earwigs so turned lemons into lemon aid. :) I need to read up on Surinames but from what I've seen they can't climb glass so they might be going into a giant jar for now.

Ok, good to hear! :) My large nymphs and adults can climb, so just in case you should always make sure they have a lid. Hope they do well for you, you should be swimming in them in no time!

I keep my surinames in a gallon pickle jar. I toss old bits of egg crate from my other roach enclosures to them, and they eat it! (I also give protein on occasion)

These guys eat anything! I threw in a whole rotten banana and they ate it, peel and all! :D

I think im gonna keep the lid on and rubberband screen over the top that way I can take the lid off an hour a day for air exchange. Once they start producing like crazy I will do a gasket bin with large mouth jar lids glued in the lid.

• 1 month later...