Domino Roach, Therea petiveriana

I've had these for a while now, got some nymphs from Peter in February of last year, and one of my females matured today! :D

Here are some pictures:

Nymphs

Domino%233.JPG

T.petiv%25238.JPG

T.petiv%252311.JPG

T.petiv%252310.JPG

Adult female

T.petiv%252314.JPG

T.petiv%252312.JPG

T.petiv%252313.JPG

Very beautiful!

Awesome! :)

Thanks guys! :) Really hoping a male will mature soon, so I can start breeding these.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a shipment of these, and I was surprised to find an adult in with the large nymphs!

post-9886-0-75741600-1465599527_thumb.jpg

The enclosure:

post-9886-0-89663200-1465599541_thumb.jpg

Nice, hope they do well for you! The adults sure are pretty, aren't they? :)

Nice, hope they do well for you! The adults sure are pretty, aren't they? :)

They're gorgeous! They're much bigger than I expected as well, because all the other Polyphagids I've seen have been tiny. I was supposed to be getting nymphs, so you can imagine my surprise when I opened the shipping carton and saw an adult!

I also received some oothecae with the shipment. Should I bury those, or can I leave them on top? I buried a few, and left a few on top just in case.

They're gorgeous! They're much bigger than I expected as well, because all the other Polyphagids I've seen have been tiny. I was supposed to be getting nymphs, so you can imagine my surprise when I opened the shipping carton and saw an adult!

I also received some oothecae with the shipment. Should I bury those, or can I leave them on top? I buried a few, and left a few on top just in case.

Yeah, and T.petiveriana is the biggest species of Therea in the hobby!

I would bury the oothecae, but it probably does not matter, seeing as some of them are bound to surface due to the burrowing activities of the nymphs and adults.

• 1 month later...

I have a bunch of adults maturing in my colony! I'm up to 11 adults already, though only 1 is a female. It is very entertaining to watch an enclosure of adults scurrying around in a sex hungry search for a mate! That's why I took some footage on the fly tonight, and made this video:

The quality is pretty craptastic, though I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Bonus scavenger hunt:

Can you find the irregularly patterned adult?

• 5 weeks later...

I've had several more mature, including some males, so I expect I'll start seeing oothecae soon! :)

Here are a couple of pictures I took the other day:

T.pet%25231.JPG

T.pet%25232.JPG

• 5 months later...

Congrats! :)  Really gotta add this species to my collection one day, would be awesome to create a display tank for them. I'm currently hoping to create a nice glass display tank for my A.tesselata. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Congrats! :)  Really gotta add this species to my collection one day, would be awesome to create a display tank for them. I'm currently hoping to create a nice glass display tank for my A.tesselata. :) 

Thanks! You definitely should, Therea is a great genus! :) Sounds cool, if you do make a display tank for your A.tesselata be sure to post pics! 

1 hour ago, lovebugfarm said:

Awsome! :)

Thanks! :)