New Mantids and Some Other New Bugs!

Hey Guys!

Got some awesome mantids and some new roaches! Hope you guys enjoy my post! :)

https://allaboutarthropods.blogspot.com/2016/06/new-bugs-from-alan.html

Thanks! :) Also just fed the G.grisea nymphs some unprocessed, pure honey that I got from a farmers market, they seem to love it and ate a pretty good amount! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tip I have on raising Mantids is to give them a perch at least 3 times the height of the mantis from the floor of the container. This helps because when Mantids shed their skin, they hang upside down from the old skin to expand their new exoskeleton. If they don't have enough room for this they will often die a few days after ecdysis. I lost a few Mantids this way when I first kept bugs.

Hope this helps from Bill. :D

Thanks for the tips :) , that works for most mantids but I setup the bark on the sides of these guys' enclosures because G.grisea and other bark mimicks like Theopompa sp. ,Tarachodes sp , etc. need to molt from the side of the container to molt correctly. These mantids often mismolt if they try to molt upside down.

These guys sadly died about a month a month ago though due to I guess possibly sickness or bacterial infections, one of them actually died still hanging on the side of the container and the other died after not accepting any food for a while. :(

Bummer. I had a ground beetle larvae that had some sort of bacterial infection, and I tried to dry the body out to mount it. Bad idea. The smell haunted me for a week.

All the best from Bill. :D