Therea bernhardti

Are you sure those aren't petevariana? I don't think bernhardti is really a species.

Would you mind getting a picture of their underwings? I'm curious to compare your "bernhardti" to my petevariana. The underwing is supposedly what differentiates the two "species."

Very nice, one of mine matured a few weeks ago as well, this species is beautiful! :) Hope the rest mature for you soon!

I do hope the taxonomy gets cleared up with these soon, would really like to definitely know what species we have in the hobby.

Supposedly the true petiveriana isn't available in the hobby though I'm honestly not sure if bernhardti should really be treated as a valid species.

I agree. I think that petiveriana and bernhardti are the same species.

I do hope the taxonomy gets cleared up with these soon, would really like to definitely know what species we have in the hobby.

I'm working on that. With how cheap it is to sequence genomes nowadays, I'm working with some of my professors and their colleagues to see if we can get the genomes of Gromphadorhina sequenced. I suspect they're all the same species, and I'm wondering if my hypothesis would be supported by genetic evidence. Perhaps we can try Therea and Blaberus as well. No promises here though because genetic sequencing isn't really a dollar store job, even if it is going down in cost. I suspect I won't get the funding, as I'm still an undergrad. I will get the sequences done eventually though, you mark my words! I'm going to set cockroach taxonomy straight!

I'm working on that. With how cheap it is to sequence genomes nowadays, I'm working with some of my professors and their colleagues to see if we can get the genomes of Gromphadorhina sequenced. I suspect they're all the same species, and I'm wondering if my hypothesis would be supported by genetic evidence. Perhaps we can try Therea and Blaberus as well. No promises here though because genetic sequencing isn't really a dollar store job, even if it is going down in cost. I suspect I won't get the funding, as I'm still an undergrad. I will get the sequences done eventually though, you mark my words! I'm going to set cockroach taxonomy straight!

Awesome! Looking forward to your findings!

If I were you I'd try acquiring the holotypes of all the Therea species as well as what we currently have in captivity and sequence them.

Very nice, one of mine matured a few weeks ago as well, this species is beautiful! :) Hope the rest mature for you soon!

Thanks :) Looks like most of my nymphs are subs so they are really close to maturing!

and yes! While bernhardti seems to be recognized as valid species I really hope that someone will re-varify the validity of this species and tell us if we should call our dominos bernhardti or petiveriana

Is it possible hobby captives are hybrids. Im sure they werent properly ided when imported the only way to be sure is fresh locality specific imports from india/thier native range.