Recommended thread for optimal basic Enclosure ?

Mikro

Hello everyone.

I'm still unsure about what species of roach we're going to get here in the Philippines.

However, I do have a small plastic terrarium and some coco peat.

I was wondering if there is a thread in here that would condensate tips on how to set up an optimal space for most species of roaches ?

And of course then adapt it depending of what species I'll choose ?

Many thanks.

Thank you for this start :)

Well my goal isn't to have 2000 roaches but a few, ideally that they start breeding, then I would probably need more than one small enclosure.

I have this small plastique terrarium (the kind people buy for a spider i guess about 25 X 15 centimeters (sorry I hate inches) with good ventilation on top.

My first question would be : Is it a good idea to use a layer coco peat at the bottom as it's a very nutrient free substrate ? or do people recommend to put nothing at all but egg boxes / food / and water ?

Many thanks :)

Thank you for this start :)

Well my goal isn't to have 2000 roaches but a few, ideally that they start breeding, then I would probably need more than one small enclosure.

I have this small plastique terrarium (the kind people buy for a spider i guess about 25 X 15 centimeters (sorry I hate inches) with good ventilation on top.

My first question would be : Is it a good idea to use a layer coco peat at the bottom as it's a very nutrient free substrate ? or do people recommend to put nothing at all but egg boxes / food / and water ?

Many thanks :)

It really depends on species. Some species, like Polyphagids require a substrate as they will spend the majority of their lives buried in it. Other species, such as Blaptica Dubia, are commonly kept without substrate. However, using substrate certainly won't hurt anything. I use substrate in all my enclosures, as it seems to reduce smell, and allows me to go longer between cleanings.

Also, if you plan on using cleaner crews (springtails, isopods, lesser mealworms) they appreciate a substrate.

And of course substrate is necessary for moisture loving species, as substrate will hold moisture for longer periods.