Things roaches in general won't eat:

Matt K

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird...I've had my hisser colony for close to six years now and I feed them carrots like once a week. You wouldn't think that anything would harm a mantid that wouldn't harm a 'roach since they are so closely related...weird...?

I noticed a few people say they feed carrots and I just wanted to let yall know that carrots have a natural pesticide in them that can kill a mantid or make it sick if fed a feeder insect thats eaten one. I have no idea if it effects any other insect species the same way but its better to be safe then sorry. I have never heard of this anywhere else but a friend of mine told me this resently and he is somewhat of an expert when it comes to mantids so I trust him.

Actually, my cockroaches ate Cilantro. (Mine are American cockroaches though, so I can't speak for the "fancy breeds") And my cockroaches also eat carrots, but only when I don't give them apples or such. I've avoided citrus, because though they love it, it goes moldy like nobody's business.

My cockroaches have different favorite foods, too. One of them will eat the icing off of kitkat wafers...

I also have seen them eat paper and soap. In fact, they all prefer brown paper over the nasty white stuff. More or less, you just triple wash your veggies before popping them in, just in case.

I would be interested to know who has fed a mantid a carrot-eating roach that had the mantid die and found the link to the carrot, and how they confirmed this idea.

I have kept some mantids that were fed roaches to which I feed carrots on a regular basis, and I did not loose a single mantid. Therefore, this hypothesis is difficult for me to believe.

Out of the number of species of roaches that I have, both pest and exotic varieties, I have had them all consume carrots without any problems.

I would be interested to know who has fed a mantid a carrot-eating roach that had the mantid die and found the link to the carrot, and how they confirmed this idea.

I have kept some mantids that were fed roaches to which I feed carrots on a regular basis, and I did not loose a single mantid. Therefore, this hypothesis is difficult for me to believe.

Out of the number of species of roaches that I have, both pest and exotic varieties, I have had them all consume carrots without any problems.

I'd like to add, branching out to a similar situation, different phylum; I've fed my amphibian collection primarily on lobster roaches gutloaded with carrots; I've seen nothing but an increase in amphibian coloration.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if I recall correctly, my dubias didn't seem to like kiwis...

I have heard a few people saying that specially dog food but also cat food wasn't good for the roaches that would then feed amphibians. Anyone got real informations about that matter?

Anyone tried feeding celery too? I know it's doesn't contain any vitamins or nutrients so I haven't tried.

I highly doubt that's true. Where did you hear this? I'm interested in why they think that...

I have heard a few people saying that specially dog food but also cat food wasn't good for the roaches that would then feed amphibians. Anyone got real informations about that matter?

people over frogfreaks.com, talkto.thefrog.org, fatfrogs.7.forumer.com

some very knowledgeable people think there is something bad in dog food specifically, but I don't recall what, and I would like to know if it is really the case... maybe the roach just destroy those bad stuffs? I have no knowledge about the matter! I just breed them:)

people over frogfreaks.com, talkto.thefrog.org, fatfrogs.7.forumer.com

some very knowledgeable people think there is something bad in dog food specifically, but I don't recall what, and I would like to know if it is really the case... maybe the roach just destroy those bad stuffs? I have no knowledge about the matter! I just breed them:)

I seem to recall the only really "bad" thing would be the common use of polyethelene glycol in dog food (also known as PEG), which is present in several animal feeds. This may or may not be rendered harmless by the roach. I know that if it is present in parrot food that gets fed to a toucan, it will kill the toucan. But if it were fed to something digesting it first, then to a sensitive mammal or herptile it might or might not have an effect....I don't find any info on it that far yet.....

Also, from what I can gather, it is only an ingredient in some artificially colored foods and not necessarily in naturally colored foods, though it could be present in artificially soft foods for dogs...(e.g. in a bag, not in a can).

• 1 month later...

My two cents on an old, but good thread. Cent #1: I once had a rosy boa that didn't want to eat. After the third attempt at thawing and refreezing his uneaten pinkie I tossed it in with the hissers, just to see what would happen. They swarmed it and there was no trace of it in less than five minutes. ( I finally got the snake eating, BTW.)

Cent #2: Over the years there have been times when I have had to go out of town for work and my co-workers didn't take very good care of the roaches. Upon my return there is nothing edible that they ever refused. Everything named in this thread has been tossed in there and eaten. We've got lots of other animals and the roaches are a good way to dispose of uneaten food. (Monkeys are particularly messy and wasteful!) If they've been eating well for a few days or weeks in a row, they might leave citrus rinds behind long enough for me to see them and toss them out, but not usually.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=5460:date=Mar 26 2008, 07:48 PM:name=BugmanPrice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BugmanPrice @ Mar 26 2008, 07:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=5460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry for replying so late but what are "baby pine trees"? I mean are we talking small evergreens? Maybe it was a joke I missed...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...Could be a substitute for a kitchen sink....

I know this is several years later.... talk about a late reply.

I actually had received a small pine tree at a fair.. it was just a little torey pine no taller then five inches... I needed to put it down for a moment so i set it down in with the hissers.... came back a few hours later when i remembered and they had eaten the entire tree.... i was sad that they had just eaten my new tree. but startled that they would eat a living pine.

• 2 weeks later...

It's never too late to add a reply to a thread like this. It is interesting to note that a colony is reported to have eaten a small pine.

My dubia enjoy an occasional stillborn rabbit. They eat everything but the bones and leave the fragile skeleton intact. I also learned recently that they will eat the assorted fresh greens I give my rabbits as a treat every day (pesticide-free lawn clippings, mulberry leaves, raspberry leaves, apple leaves, clover and assorted lawn weeds).

• 9 months later...

What dog/cat foods do the roaches seem to prefer. I'm trying blue buffalo finicky feast cat food and blue buffalo lamb and brown rice dog food. They don't seem to love it as much as some other foods I have tried. Which would be the favorite brand/flavors for dubia?

Celery... My dubias wont touch it, and I do believe that Ken's roaches wont either. You'd have to verify with him though. I just remember trading some veggies with them one day because none of their roaches would eat it, so I figured I'd see if mine would, and they didn't.

What dog/cat foods do the roaches seem to prefer. I'm trying blue buffalo finicky feast cat food and blue buffalo lamb and brown rice dog food. They don't seem to love it as much as some other foods I have tried. Which would be the favorite brand/flavors for dubia?

My roaches loves Nutro chicken flavoured dry cat food. at that time I was only feeding dubias and Fuscas.

I'll be testing out Halo brand cat food tonight. And apparently Dubias love Algea wafers for bottom feeders.

Apparently they LOVE Halo brand catfood "Spot's Stew, Wholesome turkey Recipe" Sensitive formula. I just put a few pieces of kibble in there and they've already swarmed it... Some are even fighting over it, and I just fed them a large meal two days ago.

When do feed my roaches dog food I usally use solid gold holistique blenz because that's what I use on with my dogs, and honestly it depends more on the species when it comes to who likes it and who doesn't. The one fruit I've found thay like the least is Cantiloup that just didn't seem that interested I to it.

My dubia enjoy an occasional stillborn rabbit. They eat everything but the bones and leave the fragile skeleton intact. I also learned recently that they will eat the assorted fresh greens I give my rabbits as a treat every day (pesticide-free lawn clippings, mulberry leaves, raspberry leaves, apple leaves, clover and assorted lawn weeds).

I won't give an actual uncooked dead animal, but my dubia love cooked hamburger and turkey for thanksgiving. The females especially crave protein and I find more protein means more, healthier broods.