List of roaches that will breed at room temperature.

Heating has always been an issue for me, and I want to find a way to maximize the breeding capacity of my rearing room. So, I'm looking to acquire a list of species that have been confirmed to breed at normal room temperature. (low 60s to high 70s Fahrenheit) Notice I said I wanted confirmed cases; that is cases that you personally can confirm. Looking at the species stats on roachcrossing does not count as a confirmed case! (Though, if Kyle wants to hop on over here and add his, that's fine.)

For me the only species that I can confirm breeding at room temperature is Nauphoeta cinerea.

However, Periplaneta australasiae may have breed for me, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks for any contributions! :)

Well I'm keeping all my roaches unheated right now, however my room stays pretty warm most of the time, above room temperature for sure, so I can't help out much here I'm afraid.

So I can confirm that the german roaches Blattella germanica breed at room temp since they are a indoor pest in my place. Also when people submit awnsers it can be helpfull to add state or country info. I know texas indoor temp is different then northern states.

A non confirmed by me spieces is Periplaneta japonica they are a famous cold weather roach surviveing at higher lattitudes.

Speaking of lattitudes look up your local one and find spieces whos native range are in that lattitude and or higher might be a good bet they will do fine at indoor temp.

For heating i use a the tinyest space heater on a timer and keep my big heat loveing colonys in my closet. Its not great for display spieces but for breeding alot of feeders its a solution. Hope some of this helps. :)

What is your room temp tenevainics? I know for most its about 73-77. If yours are this low, id suggest just getting a single large heat lamp and keeping the door to your room/ bug room closed.

72-80 in the summer. 65-70 in the winter. I had heat lamps and pads in everything before, but now that my collection is growing it's not possible to directly heat everything anymore.

Theres always the flex watt heat tape ive never been able to afford it but that could be an option. Some times people sell used snake racks on craigslist or facebook that have heat tape installed. It would work for the non-climbing spieces since most are designed for bins without lids.

Theres no reply button on my screen :| I don't suggest directly heating but the large red heat lamps produce a lot of heat. It could probably heat up to 3 large bins stacked near it.

Mine don't have a huge wattage. It's heating 6 16 quart shoe boxes to about 85 degrees.

Eublaberus "pantanal" will breed sssllloowwwly at room temp (68-72 winter, 75-78 Summer). However they develop too slow to get there. 7 months to mature. I have one heat lamp on my hissers and set one bin on the left and right of the lamp with one positioned above. The ambient temp around the bulb is not wasted here lol.

I used to heat a walk in closet then a room with a single heater to avoid the expense/hassle of mats, tape, and cord (cord is my favorite of the bunch with racks). I had a buddy/store owners flex tape torch a chunk of his leopard gecko stock and I've never been able to get myself to try it. Saw the burns he wasn't BSing. The room heaters were cheap, the ceramic kind got the hottest but were to hot for my needs and I used it as a back up. The others had a built in thermostat that were just as cheap and worked for a good couple years of hard constant use. I don't even bother now. I live in AZ and the roaches just slow breeding in the winter so I just over breed them in the warmer months and have extra in the winter (3 months give or take) keep snakes that burmate and heat the few reptiles that need it in rack only in the winter. I got my heaters at target, if you searched you could probably find them cheaper. If you count the garage as room, turkestan roaches breed just fine,

The flex watt tape can line a back wall. Check eBay. And thats not too bad, 85 is usually perfect for most species.

What should we use for a rack? Metal? To avoid fire? I've always wondered how so many people confidently use the heat tape. I suppose it works good, I just have carpetting all over my apartment and it boggles my mind.

What should we use for a rack? Metal? To avoid fire? I've always wondered how so many people confidently use the heat tape. I suppose it works good, I just have carpetting all over my apartment and it boggles my mind.

I agree with the statement above. I'll use heat cable, but not heat tape.

What about B. Orientalis I don't personally breed them but they live in the basement / crawlspace and occasionally venture to the house during humid stretches. So pretty sure they're good 65f - 75f.

I've had B. Orientails for about a year now, and they can tolerate quite a range and don't mind the cooler temps. I've read that they can live outdoors in the winter in parts of western Europe but I don't know how cold they were talking about. I'd guesstimate that around 50F is a safe lower limit; they may not breed but it shouldn't kill them. They really slow down above 80F, more than 87F may be fatal...I don't know. It hasn't gotten that hot in my apartment yet (no air conditioning).

When I transfer them to a different container I put them in the 'fridge for a while, about 40F...it puts them in a stupor and makes for easier handling. No ill effects unless they're adult females ready to drop an ootheca. They may abort and die shortly thereafter.

electricity and metal = shock risk (not really a problem if you ground it), wood = fire risk, pvc/plastic are the safest by far. If you build with plastic get a plastic welder (looks like a soldering iron). carpet tends to melt more than it burns.