Well, hello there.

Axolotl

I've been on here for months now and just noticed this Introduce Yourself forum ...

I'm in Michigan, live out in the middle of nowhere and am certifiably obsessed with roaches. I don't have many species yet, but the ones I do have consume a large portion of my free time. I keep some as feeders for my bearded dragon Drake, but most I just enjoy observing. I swear I can stare at a bin of roaches for hours.

I'm most in love with hissers. How can you not be? So much variety and personality. I just got some P. vanwaerebecki nymphs that I'm thrilled about, and I have some E. javanica and portentosa, but my oblongonota are my favorites by far. I have a large thriving colony, but my biggest boys live in their own bachelor pad where they get names, frequent excursions out of the bin and all the best yummies. It's amazing how each one has their own personality.

I have others as well - they're all listed in my signature thingy - and I'm on the hunt for E. posticus and Pycnoscelus surinamensis.

So that's me and my roaches in a nutshell. A big "Hello!" to everyone.

Welcome to the forum! :) (Even though you've been here a while).

I know, they are mesmerizing, especially a nice sized colony, it's nice to take a break from the day and just stare at your roaches and watch them feed, groom themselves, molt, interact with each other, etc.

I love hissers as well, they were my first pet roaches. :wub: Ironically I've grown slightly allergic to them, but I still love the things! I got two "Princisia vanwaerebecki" nymphs as well, and a healthy colony of Gromphadorhina sp. "Hybrid". Unfortunately I'm trying to not get any more hissers due to my reactions to them, I get a worse reaction from them than from any of my other roaches.

Anyways, welcome to the forum, hope you'll stick around! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the welcome. Just curious... what are your symptoms with the hissers? And what the heck is LOPWHHSOTHATPP Squad? I see it all over the forums. :blink:

Hey thanks for the welcome. Just curious... what are your symptoms with the hissers? And what the heck is LOPWHHSOTHATPP Squad? I see it all over the forums. :blink:

If the hissers crawl anywhere other than the palms of my hands, I get blisters where their leg spikes poke me. And I get really stuffed up and sneeze a lot when I open the hisser enclosure, though keeping them moist helps a lot with that.