Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hisserdude

Oniscus asellus "Mardi Gras Dalmatian"

39 posts in this topic

So some of you may know that my population of Cylisticus convexus "Pied" died out unfortunately, due to under-watering. However, a new morph has shown up in one of my other species's enclosure, and it is equally exciting to me!

Presenting, Oniscus asellus "Dalmatian"!

DalOniscus3_zpszk8kqjzx.jpg

DalOniscus1_zpsubclair4.jpg

DalOniscus5_zps6fxb0vwh.jpg

DalOniscus6_zpssqb4pb1j.jpg

DalOniscus7_zpssymxxwqr.jpg

I have found three individuals in my colony so far, hoping I can isolate this morph, never heard of this species having this color variation before! I have been really lucky with the variation of color morphs in my isopod colonies, such a cool group of invertebrates! :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a fourth one in my normal O.asellus colony and put it in with the other Dalmatians, which have already reproduced, fingers crossed some of the offspring carry the Dalmatian trait! :D

Here are a couple pictures of them I took the other day:

O.asellusDal%25231.JPG

O.asellusDal%25232.JPG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome looking O.asellus! It looks like it's fluorescing in the second pic!:lol:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Awesome looking O.asellus! It looks like it's fluorescing in the second pic!:lol:

Thanks! :) Yeah, the flash from my camera kinda distorts the light in some images, especially on pale coloured inverts. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Wow, it's really pretty! Hope these breed true! 

Yeah, they are really nice looking, (though not as pretty as those Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" you just got IMO ;)), hopefully I'll know if the babies are also Dalmatians or not soon once they get a little older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jared said:

Wow, those are beautiful! Hope you can get the trait isolated.

Thanks, I hope so too! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice looking critters. Dalmatian might not be the best name since they have yellow spots too.

I picked up some pied convexus and they've had hundreds of babies and every single one looks normal.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrCrackerpants said:

So nice! Good luck! :)

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Very nice looking critters. Dalmatian might not be the best name since they have yellow spots too.

I picked up some pied convexus and they've had hundreds of babies and every single one looks normal.

That's true, what name would you suggest instead of Dalmatian? 

That's exactly what happened with my pied C.convexus, they made tons of babies and every single one was normal coloured, it was very frustrating, though not as frustrating as forgetting to water them and accidentally wiping out the whole colony. <_< Where'd you get them?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

That's exactly what happened with my pied C.convexus, they made tons of babies and every single one was normal coloured, it was very frustrating, though not as frustrating as forgetting to water them and accidentally wiping out the whole colony. <_< Where'd you get them?

Seems like a stretch, but could there be something environment or diet related that causes the coloration?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Seems like a stretch, but could there be something environment or diet related that causes the coloration?

That's what I was thinking, but really nothing changed in their care the whole time I was keeping them except for when I moved them from the normal colony, they got the same types of leaves as the other C.convexus and were kept pretty much the same. I don't see how environment or diet changes could change their color in such a way, but then again I don't see why their offspring wouldn't have the pied gene like their parents.

The same thing is happening with some Porcellio scaber I have with white coloration, I isolated them over a year ago I believe and all their offspring look normal, I don't know why. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe its like the blue merle color for dogs where you have to breed it with a normal color that has the gene for it to get babies with it?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2016 at 0:41 AM, Hisserdude said:

That's what I was thinking, but really nothing changed in their care the whole time I was keeping them except for when I moved them from the normal colony, they got the same types of leaves as the other C.convexus and were kept pretty much the same. I don't see how environment or diet changes could change their color in such a way, but then again I don't see why their offspring wouldn't have the pied gene like their parents.

The same thing is happening with some Porcellio scaber I have with white coloration, I isolated them over a year ago I believe and all their offspring look normal, I don't know why. :wacko:

 

On 10/30/2016 at 0:29 PM, Randomjoe said:

Maybe its like the blue merle color for dogs where you have to breed it with a normal color that has the gene for it to get babies with it?

Hmmm, I'm betting Randomjoe might be right on this one. You may just be stuck with a good number of mixed isopods then and have to enjoy a multicolored colony. Or there's something else we might not be thinking of when it comes to isolating the morph :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2016 at 7:52 PM, pannaking22 said:

 

Hmmm, I'm betting Randomjoe might be right on this one. You may just be stuck with a good number of mixed isopods then and have to enjoy a multicolored colony. Or there's something else we might not be thinking of when it comes to isolating the morph :)

Well that would kinda be disappointing, because then you may have to cull out some of the normal looking ones from time to time to make sure there is a good balance of normal VS pied, and vice versa. My C.cylisticus colony was pretty consistently putting out pied specimens for over a year before I decided to isolate them all though, so you guys could very well be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Well that would kinda be disappointing, because then you may have to cull out some of the normal looking ones from time to time to make sure there is a good balance of normal VS pied, and vice versa. My C.cylisticus colony was pretty consistently putting out pied specimens for over a year before I decided to isolate them all though, so you guys could very well be right.

It'd definitely be a bummer, but would make for a very showy colony at least! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps "flecked" or "calico" for the name? 

Hope they're willing to breed at least mostly true, they're very neat. Looks like they've been sprinkled with gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2016 at 10:34 PM, Betta132 said:

Perhaps "flecked" or "calico" for the name? 

Hope they're willing to breed at least mostly true, they're very neat. Looks like they've been sprinkled with gold.

Oops, didn't see this comment until just now!

Flecked is a good one, Calico has been used for a strain of Porcellio scaber that has a orange and brown coloration, so I don't think I'll be using that term to describe these. 

Some of their older offspring are gaining some color and it seems the trait has been passed down to them!! :D Can't wait until they get bigger and I can actually photograph them!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the offspring have been getting bigger, and I was able to get some pictures of them yesterday, here they are: 

OniscusDalmatian%25231.JPG

OniscusDalmatian%25232.JPG

OniscusDalmatian%25233.JPG

I'm so glad the trait has been passed on to the next generation, hopefully I'll be able to keep this culture going and spread them around in the hobby! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 4:22 PM, Hisserdude said:

Well the offspring have been getting bigger, and I was able to get some pictures of them yesterday, here they are: 

OniscusDalmatian%25231.JPG

OniscusDalmatian%25232.JPG

OniscusDalmatian%25233.JPG

I'm so glad the trait has been passed on to the next generation, hopefully I'll be able to keep this culture going and spread them around in the hobby! :)

   Is that a Springtail on the right? Cute. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nathant said:

   Is that a Springtail on the right? Cute. :lol:

Yes, it's a young Sinella curvisteta, a very prolific springtail species that I use in my roach enclosures as clean up crews and that found it's way into my Onsicus asellus "Dalmatian" enclosure. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys are doing well, the original few offspring have almost reached sexual maturity already, and the adults have been producing more offspring, which are still all dalmatians too! BTW, what do you guys think of the name "Mardi Gras Dalmatians", since they got the yellow flecks too? Was a suggestion by someone on Facebook.

O.asellusDal%25231.JPG

O.asellusDal%25232.JPG

O.asellusDal%25233.JPG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KatsKreations said:

My mind goes to "floating lanterns"   darn Rapunzel!

Lol! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0