• 2 weeks later...

quick question im just curious is it not possible to have legal imports from europe? unless there were posts after the first one i missed i believe europe was what he had asked about. legal importing is an important topic. where are the best places to learn what parts of the world are available to recieve imports from? imports seems to be a very secretive subject but there should be some basic discusstion in the public so people dont accidentally do something illegal or against forum rules with out intending to. im not going to be doing any importing any time soon but think it will be an option one day mostly just curious on the subject

All insects are practically illegal to import.

And those are also my thoughts. Obviously you bigger roach dealers import so why can't the little guys know how to do it legally too? is it such a bad thing to help the community grow and get some diversity. Rather know than do something that will get me fined.

All insects are practically illegal to import.

And those are also my thoughts. Obviously you bigger roach dealers import so why can't the little guys know how to do it legally too? is it such a bad thing to help the community grow and get some diversity. Rather know than do something that will get me fined.

Oh no, it's all illegal, anyone who does it without the proper permits, (which very few people in the hobby have), is doing it illegally. Sites like Roachcdossing, Capecod coaches, etc. are probably doing it illegally, which is why they obviously don't announce it publicly.

That's why no one really discusses it, and it's very unwise to say you're doing it on a public forum like this one, as it could bring the government down on the forum, which is the last thing we want.

Not all, portentosa and a few others aren't illegal but only allowed to be imported into certain states.

My issue with this is the only reason they tell us not to (THIS IS A THOUGHT NOT A FACT) is so they can keep what they have imported rare and only to themselves, thus maintaining the value.

Btw, Peter, no one said anything about doing it illegally. I asked if anyone has imported recently. I also didn't say this forum nor its users condone illegal importation. If there are any issues with the questions or statements I have made, you can message me directly through the forum or via email. You already have my email. ;)

Not all, portentosa and a few others aren't illegal but only allowed to be imported into certain states.

My issue with this is the only reason they tell us not to (THIS IS A THOUGHT NOT A FACT) is so they can keep what they have imported rare and only to themselves, thus maintaining the value.

Btw, Peter, no one said anything about doing it illegally. I asked if anyone has imported recently. I also didn't say this forum nor its users condone illegal importation. If there are any issues with the questions or statements I have made, you can message me directly through the forum or via email. You already have my email. ;)

I did not know that, however I highly doubt any of the vendors that people could buy from overseas have the proper export permits to ship those roaches legally, so it's still not legal to do I'd imagine.

I highly doubt that's why they say not to do it, I just think they are saying so out of concern, as they may be dedicated to pay a huge fine for getting caught, but lots of us smaller hobbyists are not. There are also other legal implications to importing illegally, and you'd always be under close watch from the USDA.

Well from what i know from reptile importers is that its not tremendously difficult. However the relationship with different governments affects exchange of goods like cuban cigars being illegal or not being able to get food from countrys that dont test things to our governments standards. As far as i have read we cant import beetles, stick bugs, snails, slugs. Also I feel like it would be really strange if the EU had specific invert export laws or us specifically not accepting things from the EU. We frequently get imports of predatory inverts from places like hati, china, camaroon, philipeans, so why not europe?

Well they dont allow insects in but can they legally send them out? Does the us legally allow spieces in from europe? For instance t's scorps, centipedes. Does the us prohibit roach imports in any way? If they did how are all the dubia farmers not getting knocks on thier door?

I don't know everything about their post but that's what I heard from a friend of mine in France.

Tarantulas are a big no no.youre not aloud to export or import them.

I thought it was legal to import carnivorous invertebrates but not plant feeding ones, or maybe it's just easier to get a permit to import carnivorous inverts?

Nope. That's one reason why portentosa are legal to import into the US. They eat decaying and dead trees.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, anything that eats any sort of plant matter is highly illegal to import, it's easier to import carnivorous inverts.