Arenivaga sp. "El Paso"

Very nice, one of the people on Bugguide often posts pictures of male Arenivaga from this area, and they have always been A.tenax, wonder if that's what these will turn out to be. :)

Very nice, one of the people on Bugguide often posts pictures of male Arenivaga from this area, and they have always been A.tenax, wonder if that's what these will turn out to be. :)

It's certainly possible, considering how common these were around El Paso area. I think Kyle and I collected around 30~ specimens from two rest stops.

It's certainly possible, considering how common these were around El Paso area. I think Kyle and I collected around 30~ specimens from two rest stops.

Wow, I'm surprised you found them in such abundance! Hopefully that's a sign of hardiness, hope these do well for you! :)

• 1 month later...

Saw around a dozen 1st instar yesterday. Interestingly one of them shed the next day!

Awesome, hope they do well for you! Looks like this species is well on its way to getting established in culture. :)

Awesome, hope they do well for you! Looks like this species is well on its way to getting established in culture. :)

Thanks :) So far all the Arenivaga seem to be doing well in the new setup I came up with so I'm expecting to see a well established colony soon (unless damn entomophagous fungi hits the colony)

Thanks :) So far all the Arenivaga seem to be doing well in the new setup I came up with so I'm expecting to see a well established colony soon (unless damn entomophagous fungi hits the colony)

Nice, what's the setup? Yeah that would suck, hopefully you never have to deal with that fungus again.

I have them on moist ecoearth at the bottom, dry at the top with shredded grass as food since the rat burrows I find them in had grass inside. I also give them koi food once a week.

Huh, that's interesting, you can buy shredded grass at pet stores for pet rodents, right? Could be a good, cheap alternative to dead leaves for me since dead leaves are a rare commodity over in this part of Idaho. :)

Huh, that's interesting, you can buy shredded grass at pet stores for pet rodents, right? Could be a good, cheap alternative to dead leaves for me since dead leaves are a rare commodity over in this part of Idaho. :)

I use fresh undried grass that I cut from side of the road so i'm not sure if the shredded grass from pet store will work.

I use fresh undried grass that I cut from side of the road so i'm not sure if the shredded grass from pet store will work.

Cool, I'm surprised that they'll eat such freshly cut grass, sounds like these could be very easy to feed if you were sure that your yard had no pesticides in it. :)

Is that an ooth I'm seeing at the bottom of the cup behind the top roach?

Yep, that's an ooth :)

Cool, I'm surprised that they'll eat such freshly cut grass, sounds like these could be very easy to feed if you were sure that your yard had no pesticides in it. :)

They actually seem to prefer old/ brown grass over freshly cut grass, but I leave the fresh grass in there anyway since it eventually turns brown.

Yep, that's an ooth :)

They actually seem to prefer old/ brown grass over freshly cut grass, but I leave the fresh grass in there anyway since it eventually turns brown.

Very cool! She almost looks too small to be dropping them already but I'd call that a good thing then! :)

A lot of Arenivaga females I've collected on AZ trip are around this size. lol

Huh, I thought they'd be bigger for some reason. Guess I've just gotten used to the larger Polyphaga and think they're all that size lol. Definitely not how that works!

Huh, I thought they'd be bigger for some reason. Guess I've just gotten used to the larger Polyphaga and think they're all that size lol. Definitely not how that works!

Ya, most of the species in this genus are small. A. bolliana is the biggest species in the US and yet it's still smaller than P. aegyptiaca.