Options to Egg Flat Replacement

nick barta

I have 4 large colonies (2 G. portentosa and 2 E. posticus) that generate quite a bit of moisture. I had been replacing the egg flats every 2-3 weeks. I decided to try 2 different climb surfaces on the G. portentosa, and have been quite pleased with the outcomes on both. The first picture shows the all-bark climbing surface container. I have a huge supply of the bark, and harvesting is easier than the damp egg crates.

P1000362.jpg

The next two pictures are the other colony of G. portentosa with plastic egg flats as the climbing/resting surface. I was doubtful that the roaches would hang on the plastic, and expected to find them all around the bottom, but they are all over the plastic egg crates. When dirty, the plastic egg crates can be hosed/brushed off, or put in the dishwasher, and don’t have to be replaced.

P1000361.jpg

P1000360.jpg

I like the natural bark as a surface for looks, but the container is HEAVY…

The plastic is washable, and light, and is my favorite of the two.

If you want to try some plastic egg flats, email me at nick@bllc.net, they are $1.50 each.

I use Oats and WOW Chow for dry food, and I was doing 4 orange slices, but Hisserdude thought that that may have been the hydration issue. I was giving them the 4 orange slices every 2-3 days.

I now hydrate with 2 orange slices and some apple slices, it seems to be working better.

Any thoughts?

Nick

I use Oats and WOW Chow for dry food, and I was doing 4 orange slices, but Hisserdude thought that that may have been the hydration issue. I was giving them the 4 orange slices every 2-3 days.

I now hydrate with 2 orange slices and some apple slices, it seems to be working better.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Ok. I was just curious since I did not recognize the food in the dishes. I have not used these items (except for apples) for my hissing roaches. I tend to feed mine apples, dry dog food kibble and dead dried hardwood leaves. :)

Ok. I was just curious since I did not recognize the food in the dishes. I have not used these items (except for apples) for my hissing roaches. I tend to feed mine apples, dry dog food kibble and dead dried hardwood leaves. :)

I too use dried Oak leaves, and the WOW Chow has Blue Wilderness Cat food as one of the protein ingredients.

CHEERS!

Nick Barta

I dont use a lid for my e posticas which keeps eggcrates from melting. Also i dont use subtrate when i add substrate and eggcarton they get soggy quick. For my lateralis i use thick cardboard tubes no matter how damp it gets they dont melt. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I use coconut shells; they are durable, stackable, mold resistant and look suitably tropical. Plus they are cheap. And you get to eat the tasty stuff inside. :-)

All the best from Bill. :D