Aphonopelma chalcodes

ID determined by Nate Nelson and Marcus Bullock

Seeing this gentle giant in its natural habitat was a memorable experience. Interestingly, this specimen was extremely aggressive compare to other specimens collected from the same area. Without the aid of a shovel and stick my hands would be full of holes from her bite by now :P

13912308_1226601700735276_2589507169937903820_n.jpg?oh=8933a421446ecb021526dc26649d45e0&oe=583DCBF8

13920712_1226601764068603_1906562014408565379_n.jpg?oh=669966b9bf3b2804746ef30812a0c165&oe=5847E910

13934747_1226601770735269_6580725301056242595_n.jpg?oh=6e56dace085683c7204c3404104d9c45&oe=585324FA

Beautiful! What other critters did you see on this collecting trip?

There are too many to list so I'll just list some of my fav. finds :

Roaches :

Arenivaga sp.

Myrmecoblatta sp.

Latiblattella lucifrons

Parcoblatta notha

Possible black Shelfordella lateralis

Tarantulas :

Aphonopelma chalcodes

Aphonopelma cf. hentzi

Aphonopelma cf. madera

Aphonopelma sp. "Rodeo"

Orthoptera :

Dactylotum bicolor

Neobarrettia spinosa

Neobarrettia victoriae

Mantid :

Stagmomantis californica

Stagmomantis gracilipes

Stagmomantis limbata

Litaneutria cf. obscura

Iris oratoria

Yersiniops sp.

Vinegaroon

Centipedes :

Scolopendra heros "héros" and "arizonensis"

Scolopendra polymorpha

Scolopendra polymorpha "Sky Island Blue"

Beetles :

Megasoma punctulatus

Hemiphileurus illatus

Strategus aloeus

Strategus cessus

Chrysina gloriosa

Chrysina lecontei

Chrysina beyeri

etc....

Millipedes :

Hiltonius sp.

UnIDed species that somewhat resemble Tylobolus but thin and long

Assassins :

Apiomerus flaviventris

Apiomerus spissipes

Apiomerus longispinis

Zeluroides americanus

Phymata sp.

Possible Rocconota sp.

Isopods :

Venezillo arizonicus

Possible Platyarthrus sp.

YES! :D Was hoping you'd find some Latiblattella lucifrons, were you able to collect any of those?

Very nice Tarantula, she looks pretty big! Hope she does well for you! :)

YES! :D Was hoping you'd find some Latiblattella lucifrons, were you able to collect any of those?

Very nice Tarantula, she looks pretty big! Hope she does well for you! :)

Yep. Collected 2 males and 3 females. Unfortunately all males died and one of the females died too but I managed to bring back 2 females alive along with 3 ooths

Yep. Collected 2 males and 3 females. Unfortunately all males died and one of the females died too but I managed to bring back 2 females alive along with 3 ooths

Well hopefully those two females will be enough to start a colony, would really like to see that species in culture. :)

• 1 month later...

Good morning I like your Tarantula. I have a A. sps. new river rust rump, it is 1 of the nastiest in my collection even though they ae supposed to be a docile species. It rears up + flicks hairs f you disturb her. I raised her from a sling + shes about 3 years old, half grown. I assume shes a female judging by how fat she is. It will a while before I know because they're a very slow growing species. Lanny

Good morning I like your Tarantula. I have a A. sps. new river rust rump, it is 1 of the nastiest in my collection even though they ae supposed to be a docile species. It rears up + flicks hairs f you disturb her. I raised her from a sling + shes about 3 years old, half grown. I assume shes a female judging by how fat she is. It will a while before I know because they're a very slow growing species. Lanny

I just looked that one up. It looks like A. chalcodes. LOL

Most of the A. chalcodes I encountered in the wild were extremely docile, but this one light colored specimen was being a total a$$ to me. I would've got bit by it if I hadn't used a stick to push it out of the burrow. I guess their personality can vary from specimen to specimen.

It does look like A. chalcodes. I bought mine at a reptile show and the guy who was selling them had a bunch of adults all were docile and he handled all of them.