MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS

Posted by roachy007 (must use valid e-mail) on 8/24/2006, 2:48 pm

Message modified by board administrator 8/25/2006, 10:32 pm

ADMIN: USE A VALID E-MAIL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

I really, REALLY need to know if there is ANYONE who will sell me some megaloblatta longipennis nymphs or adults (or, even oothicas). I am in charge of creating, designing, and setting up an insect exibit at a zoo, and I really would like to have some of these neat roches on display (live display, that is). They will be well cared for! Just tell me how to contact the breeder(s). THANKS!

Re: MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS

Posted by sean on 8/24/2006, 3:54 pm, in reply to "MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS"

they do not do well in captivity

they are canapy dwellers and need the hight and pressure that they get from being up that high

the only few that ive seen was about 2 years ago and they went for 350 a peice

the person who got them was a bit mad when they died just over a week after he got them

there are much easier and prettier specie to keep

hope this helps

thanx froggy

the_frog_kid@hotmail.com

Posted by roachy007 on 8/25/2006, 3:18 pm, in reply to "Re: MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS"

Thank you sean, for the info. However, if I were to make contact with a breeder, he/she might be able to give me some hints and help on rasing them, and so forth. I do understand how hard they are to care for, so thanks.

Posted by orin on 8/25/2006, 9:50 pm, in reply to "MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS"

Consider Blaberus giganteus. It's not much smaller and it's readily available.

The problem with Megaloblatta isn't difficulty, it's availability. The only advertisements for that genus ever on this board were years ago from a person in Central America and another in South America who never sent animals but stole an undetermined amount of money to those who prepaid.

elytraandantenna@lycos.com

thats the problem

there are no breeders

all the roaches that are for sale have been colected by the people that clear cut rain forests

they pick up all the animals they can and sell them

if you wanted some youd haft to find someone that already has a bunch , go there your self and get them or pay somone to go and collect them

thanx froggy

Posted by Carlo Sormani on 9/4/2006, 1:57 pm, in reply to "Re: MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS"

you can give to eat honney and boiled rotten wood to your Megaloblattas, they need wet conditions and sufficient space to move like pieces of trunk or wood to hide, the ootheca take more than 9 months to hatch!!

Good look for breed them

Carlo

sormanihc@hotmail.com

Re: MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS

Posted by Carlo Sormani on 9/5/2006, 4:56 pm, in reply to "Re: MEGALOBLATTA LONGIPINNIS"

Hi Martin

I supposed that according to literature since Deans and Roth (2003) published an article on Nyctibora acaciana and they wrote that the babies hatch from ooteca in within 9 months. Then the species of Megaloblatta are much bigger than Nyctiboras it is a good reason to think that these hatch late than 9 months. But I’m cheer to know your Megaloblattas ootheca hatch before 9. Just now I’m rearing some Megaloblatta blaberoides and I obtained oothecas of a Nyctibora species and they hatched 6 months late.

Thank’s Martín.

Carlo.