Advance pregnancy symptoms

TherealBob

Also I plan on making a baby tank (I only have one tank tha is really secure yet) and therefore I think about putting the pregnant ones in this tanks until the baby hatch idk what you guys think about that, the baby tank host my E. Javanica colony and is well heated and full of many hiding spots...

They look fine to me. If they're mature, and there are males in the enclosure, they are likely gravid, and the inflated look of the abdomen is normal.

As far as separating the young, there isn't much point in it, unless you want to have a seperate enclosure to observe them in or something.

• Like 1

Thanks about the replies guys, I have hard time making all my lids secure so I plan to moves all the newborns into the only fully secure one, also I think this cohabitation might be quite interesting to see in the future and watch how they evolved as a group.

For exemple one of my javanicas came with my oblongatas and now even if the two species are separate I can't get an hand on that last javanica wich is perfectly integrated into the oblongata group the adults even like go under them as a cover all the time so I can't really grab it... Anyway not the subject.

Is there a noticeable change in the body size just before the hatch ? So I can remove the gravid females as late as possible ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm here to give you some updates on this MO finally gave birth to many babies that are going very well (they currently have something like 2weeks and eat like crazy) but I've noticed that her color changed quite a lot afterward even if she has not molted yet....

What do you think ?

Does this happen a lot to you ?

Glad to hear she had a successful birth! She won't be molting again because she's mature. Once insects mature, they won't molt again (unlike tarantulas and a variety of other arachnids). In terms of the color change though, that's kind of odd. I don't think I've ever paid that much attention to the small colony at the university to see if the females changed color after giving birth. Definitely going to have to keep an eye out for that now...did she get lighter or darker?

• 4 weeks later...