Drywood termite journal

specimen24-6

I have been inactive for a while but I would now like to share what I'm working on now. It's there's a termite nuptial flight going on her in Los Angeles and I'm lucky enough to find 2 pair of Incisitermes minor. Now I have them set up in a test tube with a piece of a paper bag. Now it was all experimental, I didn't think they would eat the paper but they did and they seem to be starting to stabling them selves. post-3220-0-24018800-1475048810_thumb.jpeg

Let me know what you all think.

Very cool, hope they do well for you! :D

Does this really belong in the Other Invertebrates section though? Termites are now in the order Blattodea, so technically this thread could be in the General Blattodea Discussion section. :)

I can't move posts, only the admins can do that, and I'm not sure if they want termite posts in the Blattodean section. I agree, it is kinda hard to see them as cockroaches, but in some cases you can see similarities between the two. The wing structure on the termite alates for example look pretty roachy in design IMO. :)

If my wife would let me i would totally try to work with termites. Sadly termites, ants, and wasps are forbiden in my house good luck with them. :)

Yeah, termites are off limits here as well, otherwise I would have tried keeping some dampwood termites which can be found in great numbers a couple of hours away from me.

I can't move posts, only the admins can do that, and I'm not sure if they want termite posts in the Blattodean section. I agree, it is kinda hard to see them as cockroaches, but in some cases you can see similarities between the two. The wing structure on the termite alates for example look pretty roachy in design IMO. :)

If you look closely at roaches and termites, really the only main physical differences are that termites have large, bulbous heads and small thoracic shields:

220px-CSIRO_ScienceImage_3915_Mastotermes_darwiniensis_Giant_Northern_Termite.jpg

It's pretty difficult to see mantids as cockroaches too, but they really do have an extremely similar body plan, which is easier to see in some species than in others:

photo2_zpsd9483993.jpg

Yes, mantises and termites had the same common ancestor, a testimony to insect's biodiversity. Getting out of topic but has anyone seen Netflix new series, Stranger Things. In my opinion I think it's a great show and I can't wait for them to release the new season on 2017 :D

If you look closely at roaches and termites, really the only main physical differences are that termites have large, bulbous heads and small thoracic shields:

220px-CSIRO_ScienceImage_3915_Mastotermes_darwiniensis_Giant_Northern_Termite.jpg

It's pretty difficult to see mantids as cockroaches too, but they really do have an extremely similar body plan, which is easier to see in some species than in others:

photo2_zpsd9483993.jpg

Yeah, termites are pretty similar in build to roaches, or at least the workers are. The queen termites however, are much different lol! Looking at a termite queen and then looking at your basic roach, it really makes you question how closely related they are!

It's funny, when I first saw that image of the mantid on AB I couldn't help but notice how roach-like it looked. :D

Yes, mantises and termites had the same common ancestor, a testimony to insect's biodiversity. Getting out of topic but has anyone seen Netflix new series, Stranger Things. In my opinion I think it's a great show and I can't wait for them to release the new season on 2017 :D

Yeah I saw Stranger Things, I thought it was GREAT, can't wait for the next season! :D

Yeah, termites are pretty similar in build to roaches, or at least the workers are. The queen termites however, are much different lol! Looking at a termite queen and then looking at your basic roach, it really makes you question how closely related they are!

Well, queen termites start out looking pretty normal and roachy. They just get REALLY fat.

post-7170-0-00532500-1475266814_thumb.jpeg