Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Clausen

Forum Update

Recommended Posts

<p>The forum software is in dire need of an update again and will soon be updated. This will solve some of the spammer issues that ~plague the forum. A quick thanks to Hisserdude for always letting us know immediately when the spammers are posting. We are often able to delete the posts before most members see them.

There will no doubt be many changes and even though they are updates in the sense of "progress" and "technological improvements", they are always a bit frustrating (like getting a new cell phone...until you get used to it).

A few changes of note in the list below. I chose the following answers to the below: Display names kept, do not convert friends data, leave "solved" topics as-is

User / Display Names

Usernames and display names have been merged in IPS4. As the administrator, you may select which to keep during the upgrade process. Please note that this field will be the publicly displayed field for the user. Would you like to retain usernames or display names?

Friends / Followers

Instead of friends, IPS4 features followers. A member now has the ability to follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal. You have the option of converting friends to followers, but please beware that this option may result in undesired notifications based on new content from followed members and we do NOT recommend you opt to convert. Would you like to convert friends data?

Question and Answer Forums

Previous versions of the software allowed enabling of "Mark as Solved" on a per-forum basis. IPS4 enhances this functionality by allowing members to ask questions and rate their answers. Would you like to convert existing "solved" topics or leave them as-is?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, I'm excited (and just a little nervous), for the change of software! :D I assume it's going to look similar to how Mantidforum looks now?

No problem, happy to rat out those spammers, good to know the update should help out in that regard. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, excited for the updates! :D

Would be really cool, if it will end up looking similar to Mantidforum!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roachforum, Mantidforum and Beetleforum all run on the same software platform but look different because they are different versions or run different "skins" (just templates for how a forum looks). What you see for this forum and Mantidforum are the default skins. It would be nice for them to look a little different, if only so we can all remember which forum we are actually on. Sometimes the bugs can blend together a bit. ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roachforum, Mantidforum and Beetleforum all run on the same software platform but look different because they are different versions or run different "skins" (just templates for how a forum looks). What you see for this forum and Mantidforum are the default skins. It would be nice for them to look a little different, if only so we can all remember which forum we are actually on. Sometimes the bugs can blend together a bit. ;)

I agree, it would be nice for them to be a little different from each other, if only to add to the uniquity of each forum. :)

Also, are the classifieds going to be like Mantid forum where you can't reply to your own adds? I like to announce when I have new species available for sale or when they go out of stock, and you can't do that over on MF. Makes it difficult to let people know when new stock is available, especially once your add gets buried by a bunch of other ones. Of course I could just make a new ad with an updated list each time I have new stuff available, but I'd rather keep using the same ad than make a bunch of other ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The classifieds sections for Roachforum-future will mirror the classified's section of Roachforum-present. ;)

Nice, thanks for the info Peter! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum is back up and running. It will take a few days to iron out the details and changes. 

Thank you for your patience. Please use this section of the forum to ask any questions, criticize the changes, praise them, etc. ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay it's back!! :D Looks really nice, love the orange border on the top! Is this forum going to have an option to "like" posts, like MF?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the new updated forum! :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going to get our signatures back right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

We are going to get our signatures back right?

There aren't signatures on the MF, so I doubt it. Gives the forum a more clean look IMO, and my signature was getting a bit long. :rolleyes: You can post whatever you would put on your signature in your "about me" page on your profile, that's what I did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

There aren't signatures on the MF, so I doubt it. Gives the forum a more clean look IMO, and my signature was getting a bit long. :rolleyes: You can post whatever you would put on your signature in your "about me" page on your profile, that's what I did.

Are you sure about that, don't you even have a signature on MF where it says:

My Blog: http://invertebratedude.blogspot.com/

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCRd_tlWcL0lHICZ_n2MSA

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Are you sure about that, don't you even have a signature on MF where it says:

My Blog: http://invertebratedude.blogspot.com/

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCRd_tlWcL0lHICZ_n2MSA

Oops, I was looking at the mobile version of MF, which doesn't show the signatures, there are signatures on the desktop version. So maybe we will get our signatures back, who knows? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great look to the forum, thanks for doing the update, Peter! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Oops, I was looking at the mobile version of MF, which doesn't show the signatures, there are signatures on the desktop version. So maybe we will get our signatures back, who knows? :)

If you don't mind me asking, do you know how to add a signature on MF? I can't find an option to add one when I go to "Edit Profile."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

If you don't mind me asking, do you know how to add a signature on MF? I can't find an option to add one when I go to "Edit Profile."

Go under "Account settings", then there's an option to edit your signature. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Go under "Account settings", then there's an option to edit your signature. :)

Thanks!:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I fixed the signature area issue here on this forum. Thanks for catching that. Please note that we only allow 4 lines of text per signature area. There are some offenders in this very thread. ;) The reason for this, you ask? It prevents excessive scrolling. For example, let's say somebody just threw in the word "thanks" and then had a signature line that was 12 lines long. That would take up most of the entire viewing window of my laptop. Admittedly, all the members of this forum are great and we never have issues with anybody and rules are loosely enforced. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Peter Clausen said:

 I fixed the signature area issue here on this forum. Thanks for catching that. Please note that we only allow 4 lines of text per signature area. There are some offenders in this very thread. ;) The reason for this, you ask? It prevents excessive scrolling. For example, let's say somebody just threw in the word "thanks" and then had a signature line that was 12 lines long. That would take up most of the entire viewing window of my laptop. Admittedly, all the members of this forum are great and we never have issues with anybody and rules are loosely enforced. 

Cool, no problem.

I'll try to clear up my signature area a bit.;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peter Clausen said:

 I fixed the signature area issue here on this forum. Thanks for catching that. Please note that we only allow 4 lines of text per signature area. There are some offenders in this very thread. ;) The reason for this, you ask? It prevents excessive scrolling. For example, let's say somebody just threw in the word "thanks" and then had a signature line that was 12 lines long. That would take up most of the entire viewing window of my laptop. Admittedly, all the members of this forum are great and we never have issues with anybody and rules are loosely enforced. 

Awesome, thanks man! :) Yeah, I won't be listing my whole collection this time, I'll just keep that in the About Me page on my profile. Thanks for adding the like button BTW! :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay the banner is back up! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I totally forgot to put the banner back up for a week. I got a little sidetracked finding the right shade of orange I guess. Was sort of trying to match the color on the cover of Orin's Allpet Roaches book. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Clausen said:

Yeah, I totally forgot to put the banner back up for a week. I got a little sidetracked finding the right shade of orange I guess. Was sort of trying to match the color on the cover of Orin's Allpet Roaches book. ;)

Yeah, I figured it wasn't possible with the current software to have the banner up on top, but I'm glad it is! Makes the new updated forum feel more familiar. :D Well you matched it up pretty good, looks just like the orange on the cover of Allpet Roaches. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×