Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" and Androniscus dentiger care?

Cariblatta lutea

I'm getting these two species in the mail this week and was wondering if there's any special requirements for those two? Can they be kept like other "common" isopods available in the hobby?

First of all, congratulation on purchasing those awesome species! I don't much on how they should be cared for, but someone who likely does is Edulio Isopods on Facebook.

Good luck with breeding these! :)

Wow, very cool, we were just talking about the Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" on AB a couple weeks ago! :) From what I can tell they have the same care as the other Armadillidium in the hobby, but may breed slower.

Never heard about A.dentiger before, so I have no idea what their care is like, hope they do well for you, they look pretty! :)

Glad to hear there will be more people with A. sp. Montenegro! Hadn't heard of the other species, but that's a heck of a looker too!

Oh wow! I did not know these were in the United States.

A. sp. Montenegro just got to the US this year or last I think. Can't say for the other species, but I guess it's here now!

On 10/24/2016 at 0:11 PM, All About Insects said:

First of all, congratulation on purchasing those awesome species! I don't much on how they should be cared for, but someone who likely does is Edulio Isopods on Facebook.

Good luck with breeding these! :)

Thanks :) Seems that both are fairly easy to care for so I'm hoping to get a nice colony going soon!

On 10/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, Hisserdude said:

Wow, very cool, we were just talking about the Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" on AB a couple weeks ago! :) From what I can tell they have the same care as the other Armadillidium in the hobby, but may breed slower.

Never heard about A.dentiger before, so I have no idea what their care is like, hope they do well for you, they look pretty! :)

I heard the same thing. Apparently these guys are pretty much like maculatum, which seem to like semi-dry environment and breeds slower than A. nasatum or vulgare 

Thanks :)  They turned out to be not as pretty as the ones i see on google, but still a nice species to have IMO! 

On 10/24/2016 at 5:08 PM, MrCrackerpants said:

Oh wow! I did not know these were in the United States.

They've been here since last year. I know several people who keep this species as well as other rare european species :)

On 10/25/2016 at 6:17 PM, jared said:

Glad A. sp Montenegro are growing in the hobby, now I'm just waiting for the price to go down. :ph34r:

Considering how slow they breed it'll probably take some time. Honestly I think the current price isn't too bad. lol 

On 10/25/2016 at 10:53 PM, jared said:

I was offered a dozen a few months ago for $60.

Wow, that's cheap! The guy i got mine from was selling 10 for $75 (though I got mine through trade). 

4 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

That doesn't sound bad to me. Can you PM me where to get them?

There was another guy who was selling 10 for $50 at one point on FB group so you might want to check isopod groups on FB ;)

1 minute ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I get the FB notifications for the isopod group and classifieds and haven't noticed anyone in the US selling them.

Well....Charles Schurman was selling them last week on "Isopods". There are several people on that group keeping montenegro so I'm sure more people will post them up for sale soon 

Beautiful photos of a gorgeous species! 12 for $60 is a great price and 10 for $50 is phenomenal! Might have to start looking out more for this species, either to buy or in trade :)

13 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Beautiful photos of a gorgeous species! 12 for $60 is a great price and 10 for $50 is phenomenal! Might have to start looking out more for this species, either to buy or in trade :)

Yep. The $50 one was phenomenal! Consequently they sold out within few hours after the post :(

10 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Hey, got any pictures of the Androniscus dentiger? :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, All About Insects said:

I want to see some pics of the A.dentiger as well!:D

Got any pics Alan?

Wish I could get pics guys, but they are so tiny and fast that my camera can't get any pics of them :( 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Wish I could get pics guys, but they are so tiny and fast that my camera can't get any pics of them :( 

No worries man, I have the same problem with a number of my inverts! How small are they exactly, around the size of a T.tomentosa?

7 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Yep. The $50 one was phenomenal! Consequently they sold out within few hours after the post :(

I'm sure they did! Hard to pass on a deal like that!