Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cariblatta lutea

Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" and Androniscus dentiger care?

Recommended Posts

I'm getting these two species in the mail this week and was wondering if there's any special requirements for those two? Can they be kept like other "common" isopods available in the hobby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting these two species in the mail this week and was wondering if there's any special requirements for those two? Can they be kept like other "common" isopods available in the hobby?

First of all, congratulation on purchasing those awesome species! I don't much on how they should be cared for, but someone who likely does is Edulio Isopods on Facebook.

Good luck with breeding these! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, very cool, we were just talking about the Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" on AB a couple weeks ago! :) From what I can tell they have the same care as the other Armadillidium in the hobby, but may breed slower.

Never heard about A.dentiger before, so I have no idea what their care is like, hope they do well for you, they look pretty! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting these two species in the mail this week and was wondering if there's any special requirements for those two? Can they be kept like other "common" isopods available in the hobby?

Oh wow! I did not know these were in the United States.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear there will be more people with A. sp. Montenegro! Hadn't heard of the other species, but that's a heck of a looker too!

Oh wow! I did not know these were in the United States.

A. sp. Montenegro just got to the US this year or last I think. Can't say for the other species, but I guess it's here now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear there will be more people with A. sp. Montenegro! Hadn't heard of the other species, but that's a heck of a looker too!

A. sp. Montenegro just got to the US this year or last I think. Can't say for the other species, but I guess it's here now!

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2016 at 11:53 PM, jared said:

I was offered a dozen a few months ago for $60.

That doesn't sound bad to me. Can you PM me where to get them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2016 at 0:11 PM, All About Insects said:

First of all, congratulation on purchasing those awesome species! I don't much on how they should be cared for, but someone who likely does is Edulio Isopods on Facebook.

Good luck with breeding these! :)

Thanks :) Seems that both are fairly easy to care for so I'm hoping to get a nice colony going soon!

 

On 10/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, Hisserdude said:

Wow, very cool, we were just talking about the Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" on AB a couple weeks ago! :) From what I can tell they have the same care as the other Armadillidium in the hobby, but may breed slower.

Never heard about A.dentiger before, so I have no idea what their care is like, hope they do well for you, they look pretty! :)

I heard the same thing. Apparently these guys are pretty much like maculatum, which seem to like semi-dry environment and breeds slower than A. nasatum or vulgare 

Thanks :)  They turned out to be not as pretty as the ones i see on google, but still a nice species to have IMO! 

On 10/24/2016 at 5:08 PM, MrCrackerpants said:

Oh wow! I did not know these were in the United States.

They've been here since last year. I know several people who keep this species as well as other rare european species :)

On 10/25/2016 at 6:17 PM, jared said:

Glad A. sp Montenegro are growing in the hobby, now I'm just waiting for the price to go down. :ph34r:

Considering how slow they breed it'll probably take some time. Honestly I think the current price isn't too bad. lol 

On 10/25/2016 at 10:53 PM, jared said:

I was offered a dozen a few months ago for $60.

Wow, that's cheap! The guy i got mine from was selling 10 for $75 (though I got mine through trade). 

 

4 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

That doesn't sound bad to me. Can you PM me where to get them?

There was another guy who was selling 10 for $50 at one point on FB group so you might want to check isopod groups on FB ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

GAWD THEY ARE GORGEOUS

14906860_1305180656210713_88360782317114

14910434_1305180606210718_76253509505130

14595824_1305181146210664_15503052370522

Wow they are beautiful, definitely #1 on my isopod wishlist! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Wow they are beautiful, definitely #1 on my isopod wishlist! :o

Thanks :) They'll be more readily available since several people keep this species now. I'd recommend checking FB groups 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

There was another guy who was selling 10 for $50 at one point on FB group so you might want to check isopod groups on FB ;)

I get the FB notifications for the isopod group and classifieds and haven't noticed anyone in the US selling them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I get the FB notifications for the isopod group and classifieds and haven't noticed anyone in the US selling them.

Well....Charles Schurman was selling them last week on "Isopods". There are several people on that group keeping montenegro so I'm sure more people will post them up for sale soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful photos of a gorgeous species! 12 for $60 is a great price and 10 for $50 is phenomenal! Might have to start looking out more for this species, either to buy or in trade :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, got any pictures of the Androniscus dentiger? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see some pics of the A.dentiger as well!:D

Got any pics Alan?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Beautiful photos of a gorgeous species! 12 for $60 is a great price and 10 for $50 is phenomenal! Might have to start looking out more for this species, either to buy or in trade :)

Yep. The $50 one was phenomenal! Consequently they sold out within few hours after the post :(

10 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Hey, got any pictures of the Androniscus dentiger? :rolleyes:

 

9 hours ago, All About Insects said:

I want to see some pics of the A.dentiger as well!:D

Got any pics Alan?

Wish I could get pics guys, but they are so tiny and fast that my camera can't get any pics of them :( 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Wish I could get pics guys, but they are so tiny and fast that my camera can't get any pics of them :( 

No worries man, I have the same problem with a number of my inverts! How small are they exactly, around the size of a T.tomentosa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Yep. The $50 one was phenomenal! Consequently they sold out within few hours after the post :(

I'm sure they did! Hard to pass on a deal like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

No worries man, I have the same problem with a number of my inverts! How small are they exactly, around the size of a T.tomentosa?

Yep, but slightly thinner

 

25 minutes ago, pannaking22 said:

I'm sure they did! Hard to pass on a deal like that!

Indeed! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×