Gromphadorhina oblongonota territorial display

Axolotl

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, my males  G. Oblongonata tend to be very like territorial and all but my P. vanwearebeki 'BLACK' tend not to show any territorial behavior, the males usually just hang out together in the same spot and only hiss at me sometimes or other roaches no matter their sex when they run into them... also I noticed that it's only since the birth of my first babies that the males Oblongonata now compete other the top of the egg cardboard that the babies hide under. Before that all the roaches males and female would peacefully live under that egg cardboard (and even with the babies there is still room for anyone so why such a change ?)

I still give them tons of food and all...

I've noticed with mine, they really ramp it up when I only have a few in an enclosure, right after females give birth. I typically keep my largest G. oblongonotas separate from the rest of the colony just so it's easier to watch their behavior. I have 7 females and 4 males. The fighting in the video happened when I separated males from females for awhile. I wanted all the females to give birth before I put them back together so I could move nymphs to a nursery and (hopefully) try to breed the largest with the largest. Once they all gave birth, I put the 7F/4M back together and all hell broke loose. They were fighting for hours every night... It's calmed down a lot since, now that the females are all gravid again. 

Now it's my discoids that keep me up all night. Geez. Talk about noisy with the territorial fights!

That's interesting, when did you started your selection process ? Is there results already ? I plan to get kind of wild on selection later 'cause I come from like fish and shrimps hobby and these guys were litteraly crazy. I'm pretty sure we can do some bad ass forms if we get to selection the right way.

I started the pairing a few months ago, and I'm on pins and needles to see if it does anything. My females look ready to burst any day now. I definitely won't know for awhile. I do have my first big batch of nymphs in their own nursery, which I will pull extra-large ones from when they fully mature. I think it'll take a few years to really see if I get XXL roaches.

I just reread your earlier post and mine, before I separated nymphs from adults, would have a very segregated colony structure. My G.portentosa and E. javanica have the same structure. Alpha males on top with beta males in the mid-zone. Females hide near the bottom. The nymphs generally stick to the bottom of the crates, but sometimes come out and climb the sides of the bin. It's hilarious when each male finds "their spot." They seem to defend such a tiny little piece of real estate, but it is SO important to them. 

Yeah I'm thinking about getting some kind tank that would make it super easy to get some good shots for video and I would defenatly like to document that a lot.

I am soon moving to Korea and really don't know how I could get my roaches out there, do you think I can take them in lagguage ?

I need them to follow me this project is just even starting...

But I'm defenatly very very interested in all pairing experiences :) please keep us updated