Pycnoscelus surinamensis male

Hisserdude

Found a rare P.surinamensis male in my enclosure the other day, which was pretty cool! Wonder how this happens if all the offspring of P.surninamensis are supposed to be clones? Got some pictures of him and I thought I'd share them here.:)

SurinamMale%25231.JPG

SurinamMale%25233.JPG

SurinamMale%25232.JPG

• Like 2

Whoaaa, that's awesome! Always neat to find a rarity like that! I wonder if males occasionally pop up due to a defective/damaged egg or if maybe there's some sort of density related cause? 

41 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

It's probably due to X0 sex determination system. If an X chromosome is lost in an individual due to some factor during the embryonic development you'll end up with a male even if the specimen was born through parthenogenesis. 

Ah that's right, it has been a long time since I took any genetics courses lol 

3 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Whoaaa, that's awesome! Always neat to find a rarity like that! I wonder if males occasionally pop up due to a defective/damaged egg or if maybe there's some sort of density related cause? 

Yeah, it was pretty cool finding him in my colony! :D It'll probably be a long time before I find another one.

2 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

It's probably due to X0 sex determination system. If an X chromosome is lost in an individual due to some factor during the embryonic development you'll end up with a male even if the specimen was born through parthenogenesis. 

Interesting, thanks for the info! :)

22 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

Would it be viable? And if so wouldn't the offspring be both sexes?

The occasional males that pop up in this species are sterile.

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

Would it be viable? And if so wouldn't the offspring be both sexes?

Like @All About Insects said, they are sterile, and can not mate with the females. :)

• 5 months later...

Found another male, in better condition than the previous one, so I took some picture of him, enjoy! :)

SurinamMale%25231.JPG

SurinamMale%25232.JPG

SurinamMale%25233.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Aww a few years too late, I'd probably beg for some males, but then to find out their sterile, even though they have wild males.

Some updates on your colony would be welcome. ;)

Yeah, the males are pretty cool, love how slender they look compared to the females! :)

My main colony is doing horrible, they got way too overpopulated, so I'm trying to sell the majority of them off as feeders to cull them back, and have separated just a few individuals for myself, (including the male).

2 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, the males are pretty cool, love how slender they look compared to the females! :)

My main colony is doing horrible, they got way too overpopulated, so I'm trying to sell the majority of them off as feeders to cull them back, and have separated just a few individuals for myself, (including the male).

Ah I was hoping for picture updates of them swarming and the crawling masses. I'm jealous yours eat in the day time, mine are currently strictly nocturnal.

I'm shocked you don't have a large turtle or fish to feed them too.

1 minute ago, Tleilaxu said:

Ah I was hoping for picture updates of them swarming and the crawling masses. I'm jealous yours eat in the day time, mine are currently strictly nocturnal.

They still mostly come out at night, but will come out in the day if they are really hungry.

Here's a video I took of them the other week.

21 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

They still mostly come out at night, but will come out in the day if they are really hungry.

Here's a video I took of them the other week.

I don't know how seriously you take your YouTube channel, but if you start making videos over five minutes long, and caresheet style vids for various animals I will sub to ya. :)

I just can't stand super short animal videos. ;)

Edited by Tleilaxu

Just now, Tleilaxu said:

I don't know how seriously you take your YouTube channel, but if you start making videos over five minutes long, and caresheet style vids for various animals I will sub to ya.

No very seriously lol, I often forget I have one! :lol: My camera is really bad at picking up audio too, so in any caresheet type videos the information would be given in captions anyway. -_-

39 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

LOL my channel died too lol. Understandable and life happens, well I subbed anyways maybe a new camera is in your future. :D

Much easier to take pictures and edit those than it is to do videos, and since my camera also takes blurrier videos that pictures, I tend to to not take many videos lol!

That being said, I will be getting some roaches within a few months hopefully that I will definitely try an get some video footage of, as they are quite stunning! ;)

Thanks man, I appreciate it! :)