Dubia cockroach sorting

Dubia cockroaches

Hi people,
i could really do with some advice regarding breeding cockroaches. I've got my breeder tank set up and everything is going well. One problem I have encountered though which I cannot for the life of me find a solution to on the web is that of separating the exoskeletons from the tank. This is causing me a problem when trying to filter through the nymphs and other sizes as the cases block up the bucket and the adults seem to cling on the them. The way I have been doing it is singlehandedly separating them which is a very time consuming job as you can imagine. Any advice and guidance welcome. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Squiz1992 said:

Dubia cockroaches

Hi people,
i could really do with some advice regarding breeding cockroaches. I've got my breeder tank set up and everything is going well. One problem I have encountered though which I cannot for the life of me find a solution to on the web is that of separating the exoskeletons from the tank. This is causing me a problem when trying to filter through the nymphs and other sizes as the cases block up the bucket and the adults seem to cling on the them. The way I have been doing it is singlehandedly separating them which is a very time consuming job as you can imagine. Any advice and guidance welcome. Thanks

Springtails and isopods eat exoskeletons so adding some to your colony would help with that problem.:)

I work for an insect company in England and we have tonnes of springtails so that wouldn't be a problem. Is it hard to seperate the springtails from the nymphs etc when sorting? I just don't want my bosses coming down on me hard if I mess this up ?. Thanks for the quick reply. 

1 hour ago, Squiz1992 said:

I work for an insect company in England and we have tonnes of springtails so that wouldn't be a problem. Is it hard to seperate the springtails from the nymphs etc when sorting? I just don't want my bosses coming down on me hard if I mess this up ?. Thanks for the quick reply. 

Yes, springtails are pretty hard to separate from other inverts, since they are so tiny and inconspicuous. I don't see why it'd be a problem if you couldn't entirely separate them from the nymphs though since they are only beneficial. No problem.