Hello! I have a few questions...

Dubia4Life

Hey everyone, my name is Joshua and I'm getting into roaches.

I kept a colony of blaptica dubia for my bearded dragon and about a year ago she passed away from natural causes, basically she was old and tired. It was hard on me so I gave all her stuff away to a friend after she passed, including about 5000 dubias. I have a TON of other pets and decided I wanted some more roaches as pets. I have a friend nearby that is sending me some naupheta cinerea to start a colony with. I'm looking for suggestions on other roaches to keep as pets. I know naupheta cinerea are more for feeders, but I wanted something easy to start with. I am looking for something that preferably can't climb, (I know naupheta cinerea can climb,) is relatively cheap, and breeds fairly well. Also I'm looking for resources on genetics in roaches (any species) and I haven't found much even on here, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks- Joshua

Edited by Dubia4Life
Typos

Hello Joshua, welcome to the forum! :)

Hemiblabera tenebricosa and most of the Blaberus species fit your needs perfectly, they are easy to breed, can't climb smooth surfaces, and are pretty cheap. Plus they are big and good for handling! The Hemiblabera don't even need hides, just a few inches of substrate. The adult Blaberus like to have hides as well as burrowing space though. 

Hope this helps! :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Hello Joshua, welcome to the forum! :)

Hemiblabera tenebricosa and most of the Blaberus species fit your needs perfectly, they are easy to breed, can't climb smooth surfaces, and are pretty cheap. Plus they are big and good for handling! The Hemiblabera don't even need hides, just a few inches of substrate. The adult Blaberus like to have hides as well as burrowing space though. 

Hope this helps! :D

Awesome, I've been lurking the forum for awhile now and finally decided to jump in. Thanks

Hi Joshua(also my name LOL), welcome to this wonderful forum!:D

In addition to the species that Hisserdude mentioned, Byrsotria sp. roaches and Archimandrita tesselata also fit your needs well( although the A.tesselata are a bit more pricey than the others.) Likewise, these species are also great for handling. The Byrsotria are burrowers and don't need any hides just like the H.tenebricosa, although the A.tesselata need vertical surfaces to molt to adulthood from and the adults prefer a more arboreal lifestyle and rarely burrow.

Hope you enjoy it here!

13 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Hi Joshua(also my name LOL), welcome to this wonderful forum!:D

In addition to the species that Hisserdude mentioned, Byrsotria sp. roaches and Archimandrita tesselata also fit your needs well( although the A.tesselata are a bit more pricey than the others.) Likewise, these species are also great for handling. The Byrsotria are burrowers and don't need any hides just like the H.tenebricosa, although the A.tesselata need vertical surfaces to molt to adulthood from and the adults prefer a more arboreal lifestyle and rarely burrow.

Hope you enjoy it here!

I've looked into H.tenebricosa, and they look pretty cool, I'll look into your suggestions as well. Thanks! 

(Btw, I've looked at your blog and I love it!)

1 hour ago, Dubia4Life said:

I've looked into H.tenebricosa, and they look pretty cool, I'll look into your suggestions as well. Thanks! 

(Btw, I've looked at your blog and I love it!)

Cool.

Thanks, I appreciate it!:)