Pallids not producing

lovebugfarm

Hi I got a group of pallids a 2 months back and still not seeing baby's they had adults in the original group. From what I read they give birth every 2 weeks so I'm stumped. They were originally in a small container with substrate for about a month then moved to larger empty bin with just eggcrate. They are warm around 80 fed well. I havnt seen even one nymph no evidence of cannibalism like half eaten baby or even small sheds. I heard these guys breed out of control what gives?

Whoa, that's odd. How humid are you keeping them? Mine bred like wildfire and I eventually fed off so many they're in a slump now. I'd still give them some substrate just so they can burrow around if they want and make sure they have some dead leaves too. 

Thanks for the reply I moved them into a small container with tiny air holes so humidity should be higher now. I was really excited when I heard there was anouther spieces that could be raised on only eggcrate. Since digging threw dirt for nymphs to feed off is a pain. I can definitely add some leaves though. Any clue why no signs of any breeding? Do they have any food preferences? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many females I can check tomorrow the whole group has about a hundred adults. It was 30 adults when I got the group september of last year. So it's been about 4 months at least with no young yet.

What have you been feeding them so far? Mixing up the diet a bit can sometimes get roaches to start breeding, especially if it's fruit. 

Standard dog food it was molding a little quick and now they are on Cheerios which are oats. I havnt really done anything different than what I would do for other roaches. I'm wondering are the newly hatched nymphs known escape artists? How small are their new born nymphs compared to new born lateralis size or new born b germanica. Maybe the mesh was to large in their first enclosure.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually saw nymphs yesterday. :) the main things I changed was to smaller humid enclosure and added fruit to their diet again. I noticed they don't like dog food but devour cheerios so that's a good revelation.