Egg cartons/Crates:

Matt K

Soem roaches seem to nibble the egg cartons they climb on and others don't. Does anyone know if this indicates something, or had been a problem for you ??

In my case, it is not a problem. The roaches seem fine so I am fine with it. But curious to know why...

??????

Soem roaches seem to nibble the egg cartons they climb on and others don't. Does anyone know if this indicates something, or had been a problem for you ??

In my case, it is not a problem. The roaches seem fine so I am fine with it. But curious to know why...

??????

I'm curious about this too, I have some that do this too. I think its the moisture that accumulates on the climbing material that they're after, but that's just an idea. Someone else might have a better idea.

• 4 weeks later...
A number of species feed on rotten wood in nature at least as a small part of the diet and fare better with some rotten wood in their captive habitat. Egg carton is made of wood fibers though I doubt there's much of any nutrition since it's not rotten (no fungus).

I have noticed that there are a fair number that nibble on egg carton. I do not think this means anything at all. They will also nibble on dead leaves and rotten wood, even though the same species are usually fed veggies and fish food for the most part. They just sense it is a wood product and eat it because they can, not for any nutritional reason. (My opinion).