Isopods drowning

Guest Eric

I have a pacman frog and have orange isopods and giant canyon isopods in the terrarium. Every other day I see an isopod that drowns in the water dish. (I only find the orange 1s drown for some reason, not the canyons. The water dish is 4inches by 4inches and the water is an inch deep. Now, i keep the humidity up at 85%/ mist twice a day. So im pretty sure they shouldnt be dieing for water. So, anyway to help with them drowning, I placed a stick in the water dish for them to escape back in the ecoearth. Well, that is not working either. My question is how can i combat this. I dont want my isopods to die untill i have none left but at the same time i need a water dish for my frog because is goes number 2 in there and also likes to soak... please help!

Small stones would be my recommendation as well. That or you can put in a small piece of screen that they can then climb up if they fall in. 

• 1 year later...

Have the drownings subsided?
I don't know how much it will help with a frog pushing things around,
but in my isopod cultures and other terrariums, I have small water dishes for backup humidity and hydration. I put all washed all-natural lump charcoal in those dishes large enough to stick out of the water. (No lighter fluid!) The charcoal is very easy to grab onto, and I think both the isopods and springtails like hanging out on charcoal for some reason. Supposedly, it can help keep the water from souring, but if your frog poops in the water, you might just have to keep replacing the charcoal; it's cheap in bulk. Most of my cultures have no drownings, but my larger ceramic bowls in terrariums needed charcoal to cover all ends of the dishes. When a dish empties, it often fills with isopods. I just refill the dish with water, isopods and all, and the isopods just climb out.

Note that most creatures end up walking to a wall and then follow the perimeter, though isopods may zig zag more than most creatures. They just need to encounter a foothold before they drown.

33 minutes ago, EricSJCA said:

...I put all washed all-natural lump charcoal in those dishes large enough to stick out of the water...

BTW: I don't have frogs, so I can't vouch for the safety of charcoal in frog water dishes, but I see a lot of people using charcoal in frog substrates anyway. I use charcoal in water dishes with roaches and isopods, and they all seem fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I don't have front yet but you never know!  I had tropical fish years ago.  This charcoal should be ok as long as it is big enough that spending on the size of frog, the animal will not try to swallow it?