Ectobiidae sp. “Malaysia” Little Penguins?

Stugy

Does anyone here have these roaches? Thinking of getting a few from Kyle (roachcrossing) and not exactly sure what they need. They sound like fun roaches but there is almost no info on them. :/ Would love pics of enclosure and roaches lol

30 minutes ago, Stugy said:

Would this be fine? http://imgur.com/a/tDANG I will be adding small air holes so they can breath and would a thin substrate (coco fibre maybe 1/2 inch?) be fine? Any other things that may be needed? 

I feel like the babies would get out of any holes you could make, you should either go with no ventilation, (like how I keep all my small Ectobiids), or get some micro-screen and install that into your enclosure.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of this species? The only one I can really find is the one by Kyle on his website. I saw that there was a photo thread of these a while back but I can't open the pictures and they don't show. Thanks.

OMG Thank you. They are so cute! Amazing little roaches! A lot smaller than I expected, even after I was told to expect smaller! Do they happen to have a food preference from your experience? 

40 minutes ago, Stugy said:

OMG Thank you. They are so cute! Amazing little roaches! A lot smaller than I expected, even after I was told to expect smaller! Do they happen to have a food preference from your experience? 

Mine pretty much enjoy anything I throw in such as apple, carrot, cabbage, dog food, etc... 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 4 yesterday and 2 already molted to adulthood :D I would take pictures of them if 1: they didn't move so fast, 2: They weren't so small, 3: they didn't hide so much, and 4: my camera is crap. But they are so fun and cute! I do not regret buying them one bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stugy said:

I just got 4 yesterday and 2 already molted to adulthood :D I would take pictures of them if 1: they didn't move so fast, 2: They weren't so small, 3: they didn't hide so much, and 4: my camera is crap. But they are so fun and cute! I do not regret buying them one bit.

Nice, glad to hear they are doing well for you! Yeah, Ectobiids can be a real pain to photograph lol! :lol:

• Like 1

Oh btw. Is there a way that I can sex these little guys? I barely know anything about roaches as I'm just running around buying anything that looks interesting xD Plus since two of them molted without problems and they are eating fine, I'm guessing I'm not killing them. Very good sign for me :D 

• Like 1

Body shape will be the easiest way to tell gender, though it takes practice to get used to that. Females will be a bit wider, while males are pretty skinny. There could be something with wing length in this species too, but @Cariblatta lutea would know more about that then me since I haven't kept this species (yet). 

The other two just molted or shed (whatever the roach hobby calls it) to adulthood. They all seem to be males. But I'm just gonna let them do whatever and hope that at least one turns out to be a female. One seems noticeably larger than the others so I'm hoping that one is a female though it does not have a white abdomen. Unless you count the legs xD