Power Feeding?

ApexFeeders

I've always wondered if there is a way or food that will power feed roaches. 

as with Tarantulas and other reptiles you can n powerfeed/overfeeding and increase Temps to stimulate growth. some people think that it shortens the lifespan but in the case of roaches is there anyway or thing that anyone has noticed that will increase the growth rate.

I think you can "power feed" pretty much any exothermic animal by increasing temperatures in order to speed its metabolic rate.  It's even practiced with reptiles, and some fish breeders also keep their fish warmer so they mature faster (not sure if they call it "power feeding" though). It's controversial in many hobbies because it does shorten the lifespan of the animal, however tarantula keepers argue that power feeding through the spiderling stage is beneficial because tarantulas die more easily when they're young.  Here's a good article about the topic. 

I personally don't fuss with my temperatures much unless I start to notice problems.

• Like 1

I power feed some colonys to boost numbers at times and cool them other times. For instance when I run out of money for food I cool them. I worked on a cricket farm and can confirm that power feeding of crickets shortens life span. Cool raised crickets can live 6 months hot crickets mature and die in 1.5 months almost exactly 44 days. I only really power feed roaches when I get a new colony and want the numbers to grow fast and cool them before I'm ready to sell or trade from them. Also only do this with big hardy roaches smaller spieces can't handle it as well I have lost cultures trying that.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:28 PM, lovebugfarm said:

I power feed some colonys to boost numbers at times and cool them other times. For instance when I run out of money for food I cool them. I worked on a cricket farm and can confirm that power feeding of crickets shortens life span. Cool raised crickets can live 6 months hot crickets mature and die in 1.5 months almost exactly 44 days. I only really power feed roaches when I get a new colony and want the numbers to grow fast and cool them before I'm ready to sell or trade from them. Also only do this with big hardy roaches smaller spieces can't handle it as well I have lost cultures trying that.

that's pretty cool that you have tested it yourself not many people have a record of it.

I myself have powered my Tarantula slings, I have noticed significant growth from slings that were in the 85° range and fed every 3 days. compare to slings that came from the same sac that were in room temp enviroment being fed once per week. although I don't have a death record of them as I sold them. 

I wonder if temp effects the brood size and gestation  time of a roach.

I.E. lower temps create bigger broods and nymphs since they have more time to grow or higher temps make smaller broods and nymphs since everything is pretty much rushed. or maybe temps don't effect gestation at all. 

idk now I'm rambling lol