Hi from Colorado

Crazy Bug Lady

Hi,

I am pretty new to the roach world.  I currently have one adult male hisser and two hisser nymphs.  They are from different colonies and the nyphs are long horned hissers while the male is supposed to be just a regular hisser.

I also have a millipede.

I am mostly here to learn about roach care and to ask questions.  My roaches are strictly pets and are frankly quite pampered.  I would like to discover the genders of my nymphs as soon as possible as I do not really want to have a new generation of roaches yet and also do not with to create hybrid roaches.  I am looking forward to conversing with you!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Crazy Bug Lady, hope you enjoy it here! :) Answered your sexing question on your other thread BTW, definitely don't want you creating hybrids by accident!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Welcome to the forum Crazy Bug Lady, hope you enjoy it here! :) Answered your sexing question on your other thread BTW, definitely don't want you creating hybrids by accident!

Hey Hisserdude, why is creating hybrids of roaches bad? I don't know much about it, other than hybrids or inbred offspring could be sterile. Merely curious! Thanks!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, charzard said:

Hey Hisserdude, why is creating hybrids of roaches bad? I don't know much about it, other than hybrids or inbred offspring could be sterile. Merely curious! Thanks!

Because people often mislabel their hybrids, and then sell them off as pure stock, people buy them and then sell them as pure stock as well, and before you know it the hybrid stock becomes common and purebred stock becomes rare, which is what happened to G.portentosa stocks and I think the same has happened to many Blaberus dicoidalis stocks. Plus, hybrid hissers aren't even as colorful as their pure-stock ancestors, so it's not like the hybrid stocks look cooler or anything.

Overall creating hybrids is a bad thing for the hobby, and selling them off as purebreds is even worse. Nowadays it's pretty hard to find real G.portentosa, thanks to hybrids being created and mislabeled.

I also agree with hisserdude.  ANd, while I don't want to breed at all, much less sell little nymphs, I respect the hobby and don't want to create crosses by mistake.  Also, the reasons hisserdude mentioned are why I'm not sure my adult male g-portentosa is an actual g-portentosa.  Since he is meant simply as a pet, I don't mind, but I wouldn't want to breed him and sell roaches I wasn't sure were purebreds. 

Welcome to the forum! I agree with keeping stocks as pure as possible due to their rarity. I actually shipped off my old hybrid hisser group because I managed to get a pure line group and wanted 0% chance of any accidental hybridization!

• 3 years later...

Hello again all,

I just wanted to update my intro.

I now reside in Ct and have a split gender colony (meaning I keep my males and females separate).  I have four males and three males.  I keep my males separate from one another because keeping them together resulted in fighting.  My roaches are still spoiled brats.brats.  Hope all of you are doing alright during this crazy time.

• Like 1

Nice, glad to hear your roaches are doing well! :D Hope they continue to be a welcome distraction during these trying times!