smc85

How to start up a colony

14 posts in this topic

Likely anything will produce a smell if not taken care of properly. Make sure to monitor and clean the enclosures often enough so that is less likely to occur.

1 person likes this

I guess that would really depend on how many you are keeping. I'm in no way an expert and have yet to keep my first colony, but will be receiving some within the next couple weeks. So, I don't exactly know. But common sense wise..as with any animal someone wishes to keep..cleaning will vary upon the circumstances of the situation.

Cleaning is more necessary in some species or circumstances than others, if you aren't keeping them on a substrate and have no cleaner crews, and they are not a species that eats their own dead, then you are gonna want to clean out any dead bodies that build up like once a month.

Now if you use a clean up crew, like springtails, isopods, or certain beetles, then they will usually do the work for you, but cleanup crew compatibility varies depending on what roaches you use them on, and what habitat you are planning on putting them in. Isopods and springtails for example only do well in enclosures that have a substrate and are kept moist, and large springtail species like Sinella curviseta can stress out and outcompete smaller roach species, like small Ectobiids for example.

For dubias and red runners I'd use lesser mealworm beetles, Alphitobius diaperinus, as a clean up crew, they do well in drier enclosures and do a decent job of eating dead roaches. Before you ask BTW, no, regular mealworms, Tenebrio molitor, will not work at all, only A.diaperinus. You do need to keep an eye out though, you should keep the numbers of the beetles from getting to high, when it looks like there are a ton of beetles in the enclosure, place some small, smooth sided deli cups in the enclosure, the beetles will fall in and be unable to climb out, you can then cull them out.

Well I seen some videos that they are kept with no bedding and in tubs that's the set I I was going to use because they are going to be feeders for my T's

I'm told I clean my dubias way too often.   I clean out the whole enclosure every 2 to 3 weeks as well as seporate the babies from my breeders.   Seeing babies drives me nuts to leave them!

7 hours ago, smc85 said:

Well I seen some videos that they are kept with no bedding and in tubs that's the set I I was going to use because they are going to be feeders for my T's

Yeah most people keep them with no substrate, TBH I have no idea if they clean their containers or not, or how often they do so.

I keep both species. The dubias get vertical stacked egg crates, water crystals, and a myriad of food. Bananas, apples, bread, rabbit food, my own dubia feed mix. The red runners are in a shoe box at the moment with a piece of egg crate, same diet. I have 30 some egg casings but no nymphs yet.

I clean both colony containers out once a month and keep the frass in a container with egg crate to sort out nymphs and buffalo beetles that get left in the frass.

Edit:was going to link pictures but the file size is too big.

3 minutes ago, smc85 said:

What's frass 

roach poop, dead skins, etc. Build up of junk waste items you dont want in your tank.